cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrelle
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Can Vulnerability Scanner conflict with Windows Updates alerts?

The last time I received a Windows Update alert in my notification area was in August 2015.  Since then, they have stopped and McAfee Vulnerability Scanner has been sending alerts.  Is it possible that McAfee alerts override the Windows Update alert icon?  I have Windows 7 on my PC.

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Re: Can Vulnerability Scanner conflict with Windows Updates alerts?

No, it only checks what updates you may need as would be offered by Windows Update anyway.  You can always turn off that part of it in settings.

I think something changed with the way Windows Update works, as I haven't seen much in the way of alerts either and I don't even have VS check for Windows Updates.

patrelle
Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Very interesting.  Do you ever recall receiving those windows alerts icons in your notification area?  I was hoping if I didn't have VS check for windows updates, I would start getting the Windows alerts again.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

I think the Windows Update KB3083710 which was a 'Windows Update Client for Windows 7 Sp1'  is the culprit/cause in regards to alerts. Do not quote me on that though, however reading articles seems to be.

I like yourself do not have VS set to check for updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

I hope Microsoft isn't moving 7 towards the 10 model where updates are installed without any options to do otherwise, unless one does various "hacks".

I have Windows Update set to supposedly alert me when updates are available but to be honest I don't recall seeing that alert lately.

patrelle
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I also have Windows Update set to alert me.  I believe Microsoft issues updates the 2nd Tuesday of each month. As previously mentioned, the alert hasn't happened for me since August 2015.  I wonder if others have experienced this.  It would be interesting to know if anyone tried the update KB3083710.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 16

I wasn't even offered that one.   This story may answer all the questions you have regarding it and missing alerts, well sort of:  What happened to Windows patches KB 2999226 and KB 3083710? | InfoWorld

patrelle
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Thanks for sharing the links.  I read the article with interest.  At least I now know it's a Microsoft Windows issue.  I hope if you find out if Windows has a 'fix' for this, you will share the info on this site.  Thanks again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 16

I will....if I hear anything.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Yep, that was the article I read also Peter. Sorry I did not recall which one, but been a long day. As a matter of fact, I (Did) receive the KB3083710 update. I cannot remember if I installed it or not, as I was in such a hurry.  After my Internet Outages yesterday, I was wanting to make certain I could get them installed.

It was rated Important...  If I did install it, do you recommend uninstalling?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community