Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 21 of 42

Re: BEWARE vulnerability scanner

If you have stored installer files in your Downloads folder or elsewhere, MVS doesn't look at those, only installed software....or remnants thereof in this case.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 42

There is no need to be fearful - MVM won't do anything you don't tell it to do.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 42

BTW, if you haven't already done this, turn off MVS autoscan in Settings.   That way it only runs when you tell it to.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 24 of 42

Thank you, but no thank you.  I paid for a product.  I should be able to use it without disabling it.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 25 of 42

MVM is indeed finding files in Firefox's download directory.  I've just added and deleted files in that directory and VS is picking them up.

So, in summary, MVM will scan the hard drive for files (even for files which aren't installed) and will deem them a vulnerability and then introduce a new potential vulnerability by installing software onto the machine as well as retaining the original files in their original locations which is supposedly a vulnerability in the first place.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 26 of 42

I'm glad the problem is solved then,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 42

ygtbsm wrote:

Thank you, but no thank you.  I paid for a product.  I should be able to use it without disabling it.

I'm sure what that last reply refers to, but I was suggesting earlier that maybe you have a Bit torrent toolbar in one of your browsers?   If so that would no doubt have a key to all and any of the various Bit torrent clients, I would imagine.

If you are referring to disabling Vulnerability Scan's automatic scan, that's all I'm suggesting, turning off the auto-feature so it only scans when you tell it to.

I'm not psychic, I have no idea what is on your machine nor what settings you have.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 28 of 42

My apologies, Ex_Brit.  That response was meant for SafeBoot.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 42

You can empty Firefox's download list. That has no bearing on stored stuff in your personal folders.   Just click Downloads in FF,. then Show all Downloads, then click Clear all Downloads.   VUL may be reading your temporary files and those are temporary ones.

I heard back from my McAfee contact and he says:

I’d probably check the Uninstall registry keys first:

1)      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall 

2)      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

3)      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

* Note that many of the subkeys under the keys (above) are in the form of GUIDs, so he may have to manually search each and every subkey and hope that it clearly references the name uTorrent so he’ll know which to delete**. 

**Also, please mention the usual caveat about Exporting the specific key before deleting it so he’s got a way to recover if he accidentally butchers his system – there’s a Microsoft KB on backing up the registry etc. – you can find a link to it on any of our FAQs on service.mcafee.com that talk about altering the registry (sorry, I don’t have time to go searching).

If this doesn’t help, I’d suggest

1)      Searching regedit for the term “uTorrent” and carefully** deleting those it finds.

2)      Googling for how to remove all traces of uTorrent  

The last thought – P2P apps, as mentioned above, open inbound ports to his system (so that other people can download from his system).  I’d strongly suggest he review the ports that have been opened in Firewall by uTorrent and make sure he closes them again.  He can Google what those specific port numbers are

To back up the registry go to Start > Run > type in regedit and OK any prompts.   Go to the top of the page and click  File > Export and save the current registry to your desktop or removable media, your choice.   That way you have salvation should something go drastically wrong.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 30 of 42

You stated:

So, in summary, MVM will scan the hard drive for files (even for files which aren't installed) and will deem them a vulnerability

and then introduce a new potential vulnerability by installing software onto the machine as well as retaining the original files

in their original locations which is supposedly a vulnerability in the first place.

That is incorrect.  VUL will not install anything unless you tell it to - so it leaves everything up to you.   If it is detecting software you feel you no longer have, there has be a remnant of it hanging around in the registry..

Do as my contact suggested, Google how to completely remove utorrent.

Sorry the board is acting up regarding quotes

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community