cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 71 of 151

Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

Hello there, Just to all the 'posters', I got this one that provides a correct procedure to remove (temporarily!) McAfee, ... if it can help!

Antivirus Software and Internet Security For Your PC or Mac | McAfee

user_67973
Contributor II
Message 72 of 151

I have tried this workaround (re-start the system,  but don't log-in for about 15 min. Then log-in and continue working. The CPU usage doesn't go beyond 30-40%)

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 73 of 151

Hello, when you mention CPU usage at ±30/40%, is that for the mmsshost.exe software or for all applications usage? Point is that we do have the issue, the mmsshost.exe goes beyond the 80% by itself only.

Peacekeeper
Message 74 of 151

For this issue is anyone getting it on a desktop not a Laptop? A user on a similar thread asked this as laptops seemed a common theme

garrisonliu9013
Former Member
Message 75 of 151

Hi!

I have this issue as well this morning. MMSSHOST.exe consumed 99% of CPU in task manager and I was unable to end the task. I'm not sure what's the exact reason of this issue but since it was a 'ssh host' problem with internet information flow,I assumed, so I temporarily turn on the airplane mode to block the connection and then turn it back later. It seems to work with my computer but I'm not sure whether this helps with other cases. Now everything's back to 4% CPU usage.

I'm looking forward to the real solution of this problem.

Anyway, happy new year!

garrisonliu9013
Former Member
Message 76 of 151

BTW, I rebooted and turn on airplane mode and turn back after around 5-10 min.

jerrydale2
Former Member
Message 77 of 151

On my laptop, the McAfee management service was originally taking up around 70 percent of cpu time and other McAfee processes were taking up around 20 percent of cpu time continually.  After removing and reinstalling McAfee, they dropped down to 0 at times and very reasonable amounts at other times.  I just checked on a desktop system and it showed the McAfee management services taking up around 51 percent of the cpu time and 1.8 gigabytes of RAM.  I'm removing McAfee on that system now.  Usually when I encounter a problem on a computer, I tend to run antivirus and updates immediately.  Then I look further.  When I saw the extremely high cpu time for McAfee, I did a search and ended up on this thread which seems to indicate it is by far a larger concern than apparently McAfee believes.  The original post on this thread was apparently in October.  As far as the root cause, I'll leave that to McAfee for a real fix/determination.  My concerns are:  Is this a symptom of McAfee being infected with a virus or malware which it didn't catch?  Is this a symptom of bad programming which allowed it to take up more and more memory and cpu usage?  Is this a symptom of McAfee and other programs or devices not playing well together?  Is this a symptom of a lack of proper vetting of the software (security software) due to budgetary or other shortcomings? 

There are a lot of hostile actors out there.  It is imperative our antimalware software is up to the task at all times.  It bothers me to have to let down my guard by uninstalling or otherwise disabling security software and then having to be open while downloading and reinstalling the software.

Peacekeeper
Message 78 of 151

Thanks for saying it is on your desktop do you have any non standard type programs common to both PC and laptop.  Asking as mine sits at 0% and 15Mb ram usage constantly. Trying to figure out why as this is not a big issue worldwidearound 20 poster on this forum and minimal calls to support. This in 40million installs

I am not making excuses but trying to show that a common factor must be causing this. It is not evident on the techs test PCs or my family's 10. None of the other mods show it as well.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 79 of 151

Hello everyone

We haven't been successful collecting required logs for this problem. Am sure everyone admits that log collection in a state where PC is unusable is not possible. So to tackle this we are going to gather Memory dumps from the affected machine(s).

A complete Memory dump is what we are targeting; this means that all the events prior to the issue will be dumped to a single file.

For Techies

1. Enable Complete Memory dump by following steps below

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. Click the Advanced tab.
  3. Click Settings under the Startup and Recovery area, and then select Complete memory dump under Writing debugging information.
  4. Click OK two times.

Note 1: By default, Complete memory dump is disabled. You can enable the option if the computer has more than 2 GB of physical RAM.

Note 2: If you want to enable the Complete memory dump option, manually set the CrashDumpEnabled registry entry under the following registry subkey to 1:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl

2. Wait for the problem to occur (at least 10 minutes) and note down the time.

3. Post back here so that a Level 2.5 Engineer will reach out to you for collecting the logs and transferring it back to McAfee

​ Please let me know if you are available now so that I can reach out

Peacekeeper
Message 80 of 151

Thanks matey.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community