cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smartcat
Contributor II
Message 1 of 151

mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

Hi all. About 4-5 days ago I was updated with new version of the McAfee Internet Security it is 16.0.4. you can recognize it by the new icon on the task bar .

Today I  got back from work and realized that my PC ( 32GB of RAM on win 7 Pro. ) is extremely slow. By looking at the task manager I saw the process mmsshost.exe was using 77% of RAM (22GB) !!!?

My other PC's same OS this process is using between 29-35 MB.

This file is located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MMSSHost and about 406KB in size.

Do any of you have an idea / advise ?

TNX.

150 Replies
khyfer
Former Member
Message 2 of 151

Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

I am having the same problem with this MMSSHOST.exe. The issue it's not with memory but it is taking 100% of my CPU! It was everything fine as always but today it started happening. I tried everything, shutting down, rebooting and I even tried to end the task but it doesn't let me end it.

McAfee should stop ignoring their customers issues.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 151

​ Could you kindly assist this customer please?

​  Could you kindly assist this customer please?

I have contacted these 2 Tier 2.5 Technicians on your behalf. Hopefully we will hear something in short order.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 151

Just to let you know mine is using 0% changing to 0.1% on and off. this on 16.5.190 (16.0.5)

mrisen
Contributor
Message 5 of 151

My computer is doing the same thing. Someone needs to fix this ASAP so I can use my computer again for something besides running antivirus!

Mcafee memory hog.jpg

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 151

Mine using 12100K Mentioning this in our moderation call tomorrow

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 151

I would like to know if all three of you have nVidia Video card installed as default Display device. This will help us proceed further.

petroboy10
Former Member
Message 8 of 151

I'm having a similar problem with MMSSHOST.EXE, except mine is using 100% of my disk I/O for a REALLY long period at startup (Tens of minutes).  Over a billion I/O read bytes and it's many times more than the next closest process (distant second place is System).  I do have a NVIDIA graphics card.  A GTX970.  Eventually it will settle down, but it takes a long time and my PC is almost unusable until it does.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 151

Can the other ones of you reply to Selvan re nvidia question also post the driver version I assume would assist.

have you altered the default video card settings?

Oh what operating system

What were you doing on the machine just after boot or after a game ?

Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 151

Mentioned again in our moderator call Support will need to gather data from your Machine. Please allow them to do this when asked as this is essential to sort this issue out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community