Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visje
Contributor III
Message 111 of 151

Re: mmsshost.exe is using 77% of RAM

This problem exists for quite some time now,
Another thread in Life Save is completely ignored by McAfee.

Might be polite to answer the people with problems there aswell.

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 112 of 151

Hello, thanks for the reply. Waht do you mean exactly by :Might be polite to answer the people with problems there aswell.", Is this addressed to me?

I am just a simple user of McAfee S/W from the Netherlands. Not part of that Company at all. 

PS; They just asked for someone to collect logs at time of failure and I did it.

Visje
Contributor III
Message 113 of 151

Hi Besoindaide,

No, it wasn't addressed to you.
It was more a remark in general, because in the other thread McAfee was active for one or two times and all went quiet.

I know they asked you for the logs, read the request and your answer. 🙂
Just glad you managed.
But it's been going on for months now and McAfee should have a solution by now.
Am a programmer myself and we don't have customer wait this long.

btw... Dutch aswell 🙂

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 114 of 151

Bedankt voor het antwoord dan! Duidelijk voor mij.

And for the others, Thanks for the answer and clear to me. Fine that we can think and help when we can .

By the way, this issue is not affected McAfee only. I saw on an other website (related to camera security!), that the S/W is having the same issue (customers are asking for help the same way that we do with McAfee). I own one of this camera, and guess what. since the Windows update, it does not work any longer on my laptop but on the home PC, no problem. Same issue as for us here!

Visje
Contributor III
Message 115 of 151

A lot of software is having difficulty with W10, but McAfee states they're here for us, to protect us from intrusion, virusses and malware. Guess what... after months, this issue started last year, they still haven't got a solution, but they also do _not_ admit there is a problem.

When I'm running Life Save I have to disable the firewall and the scanner to be able to us my gamecomputer. In what way am I protected from intrusion at that time?

Problem with McAfee is that they think they're doing a great job, and as long as they pretend we're not here we'll go away eventually. Indeed a much followed strategy with software producers. Got a couple of apps on my phone that followed the same strategy. But an app is usually free, or inexpensive, not 90 euros a year

markht
Contributor
Message 116 of 151

Most of this thread has been talking about Win 10, but today I experienced this problem on Win 7 pro.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Service Pack 1, all security updates applied.

Computer: Dell XPS 8500 I7-3770 @3.4 GHZ, 32 GB of Ram.

The display is Nvidia GeForce GT 640, with driver version 9.18.13.4752

Mcafee Security Center is Version 16.0, Release Name: 16.0 R7

Under that it says:

Mcafee Security Center Version 16.7, build 16.7.126, last update 2/28/2018

Mcafee VirusScan: Version 20.7, Build 20.7.134, Last Update 9/20/2017.

This morning I used the DAZ Install Manager (DAZ3d) to download and install some products I had purchased.  After the download the computer seemed slow to respond.  I checked the task manager and mmsshost.exe was using 27 GB of RAM, out of 32 GB.  It was not using very much CPU time, just a large amount of RAM.  I had not checked before using the DAZ Install Manager, so I am not sure how much it was using before, but I had never seen it using large amounts of RAM before.

I use this computer mostly to do 3d rendering with DAZ Studio and those renders can use 25-30 GB of RAM on occasion. I rebooted the computer and mmsshost.exe is currently only using 12 MB of RAM.

I have not installed any new software on this computer recently, but I note that McAfee was updated yesterday.  I will monitor things closely and see if next time I use DAZ Install Manager the same thing happens.

blueskies22
Contributor
Message 117 of 151

I am done with McAfee after this lastest bug.  It has been an endless battle with my laptop all over the McAfee Management Service host.  Uninstalled it which took 20 minutes due to my CPU being at 99%.   Installed Norton Security Suite and my CPU is down to less than 5%.  Good riddance forever, McAffee.

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 118 of 151

And again, not sure about this message but you never know. After having tried many , many options which did not work (except the only one I am using till last December: start the laptop, do not login prior ±30mn), today I had a chat with a guy from the McAfee Support team and guess what, after a few minutes having discussed about the issue and tried all workarounds McAfee told me to tried, he gave me that tip: uninstall McAfee with a tool I had to download from their own site and after that see what happen. So I did it, uninstall that piece of s/w, re-install it and so far the issue has gone. I have closed the laptop and restarted it at least five times and the issue did not (yet) come back. I will see again tomorrow morning and give you all the status. The link to the un-install tool is : http://us.mcafee.com/apps/mdm/en-us/8.7_asp/getmcsubdbtool.asp

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 119 of 151

One member reply on the 2nd forum: “Re: McAfee Management Service host - VERY HIGH CPU USAGE

I know this tool. 😞

Last December I uninstalled McAfee using this tool and made sure everything was uninstalled. rebooted the computer, and installed McAfee again. All was great for about a week or so.

Then slowly trouble kicked in again, until my computer was, again, turned into a XT.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My answer: Thanks to you for this message. Just started the Laptop this morning and logged-in immediately and like you mention in your post, my Laptop started to work without that McAfee issue. mmsshost.exe running at less than 1% (I do monitor it using a piece of s/w called "Process Hacker 2".

I will monitor it daily and report any change if happening.

besoindaide
Contributor II
Message 120 of 151

In my previous mail I mentioned that I will publish the status of the Laptop after having used the tool provided by McAfee. Today, about a week, the issue has NOT poped-up again!

I monitor constantly the mmsshost.exe usage and it has not rised up to the sky like before. Is this a true working solution? I do not know but so far it continues to work. Will post a new status after a few days unless the issue reoccurs sooner.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community