cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbelley_
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Windows Defender and McAfee ?

I have Windows 10 and it has Windows Defender. Whenever i download something it scan it automatically. McAfee will do the same thing. My question is why would i chose McAfee antivirus when we already have Windows Defender ?

4 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows Defender and McAfee ?

Hi @johnbelley_ 

Windows defender is the default AV in win 10 where as if you install McAfee or any other security product, it is like additional protection to PC. When compared to default AV (Defender) McAfee comes with LAM version (Light weight Antimalware) and also have schedule scan option. If any AV installed on a device it will be taken over the default AV which comes with the machine.

Regards

Magesh J

johnbelley_
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

So do you think i should permanently turn Windows defender off when i have McAfee Anti virus ?

jrc99
Contributor III
Message 4 of 5

I think you will find that McAfee will have turned windows defender off.

johnbelley_
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Yup i installed it already and now its working perfect on my laptop. But it stuck at 1% on my PC. i am still digging the way to fix this issue. but no one reply there

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Encryption-PC-and-Mac/Scheduled-scan-stuck-at-1/m-p/672858

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community