cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 11 of 28

Re: Where is the list of apps Vulnerability Scanner monitors?

Catdaddy, Peter, thanks for your replies.  What I'm trying to explain is that Vulnerability Scanner cannot possibly simply look at what is installed on a computer and then check that for updates.  Okay, for example, on my computer there is an app I wrote which opens the DVD door on the computer box.  I named it CDOpen.exe.  Now, Vulnerability Scanner may be able to recognize that CDOpen is an executable file, but how will it know where to check to see if an update is available?

In order for VS to check for an update on any app, it has to know where to check.  And in order to do that, it needs a database which contains the name of the app, and as a property of that entry, the location it checks to see if an update is available.  As new applications are added to that database, VS is able to check them as well for updates.  But it will never be able to check CDOpen.exe unless I provide McAfee with the location to check.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 28

I understand what you are saying, so by your own confirmation then you will be aware of when it needs to be updated. Of course give the fact  if you have it set up to automatically update. Which literally means simply 1 more program that the Vulnerabilty Scanner will not have to search for.

Can we now consider this to be Answered?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 28

That I don't know and we are never told about how the programmes work, which is normal for most software makers.

gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 14 of 28

Well, catdaddy, what we've determined so far is that VS doesn't monitor CDOpen.exe.  What I'm trying to get is the list of apps it DOES monitor.  So, no, my question is not answered.  Can one of you guys get in touch with the people who maintain VS and ask them to query the database for the list of supported apps?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 28

As we stated, I am uncertain if that is possible.Just to clarify my thinking, why is it imperative that you need to know such? Of course I could possibly ask during our upcoming Conference Call on Monday.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 28

The company wont divulge proprietary product knowledge anyway.

There have been similar questions in the past and each time they were told that.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 28

Agreed   However just to clarify,I have asked. Again,I am perplexed as to why it is so important for the OP to know?

3. MarkR Customer is determined to know a (List) of applications Vulnerability Scanner Searches/Scans for? CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 28

BTW it would only recognize proprietary brands anyway,.  So anything you made yourself would be ignored.

It's basically a tool to make sure things are updating correctly.

gollyrojer
Former Member
Message 19 of 28

Well, thanks for asking.  I've already explained more than once why I want this information.  I didn't say it was "imperative".  I just want to know.  I continued to ask and explain in more detail because you didn't understand what I was asking.  As I explained before, knowing what specific applications it monitors will be useful to me when I'm choosing new software to add.  I might choose between two similar apps based on the fact that one is monitored and the other is not.  Beyond that, I feel that it is in my best interest to know the details of what any application on my computer is doing. 

Would you explain to me why this information is a proprietary guarded secret?  What danger or harm would result from the list being public knowledge?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 28

Simply speaking, unlike some major Anti-Virus applications McAfee does not 'Broadcast' to the public at large it is aware of a unsafe Program/Application. Due to the fact the author will then create another one that needs to be detected.

Therefore McAfee stays one step ahead of Malicious software.The principal part being that McAfee kept you safe in any instance.Which is far more important.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community