cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forum
Contributor III
Message 1 of 6

Vulnerability scan and scheduled scans acting strange, anyone knows why?

I have Total Protection Version 14.0, Build 14.0.9042.  Windows7 professional.  There was some big update a few weeks ago and since then I am having vulnerability scans even though I have checked no option for this to be done,  I have tried checking and unchecking and seems to make no difference, it happens anyway on all machines I have so it is not restricted to any one system.   There does not seem to be anyway to turn it off.  In addition, I have scheduled scans and up to a few weeks ago and for umpteen years that I have had McAfee  I got a full scan, now the scan is some quick scan with just a few items scanned, again on all machines.  Does anyone know if there has been some change in policy that is not reflected in the options given or in the online information provided for scans.  Or are there options I can check that I do not know how to locate.  I have checked as much as I can but can find nothing to indicate why the change.

Thanks for any information that can be provided.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Vulnerability scan and scheduled scans acting strange, anyone knows why?

Moved to Vulnerability Scanner as the best spot for this.

It is a known glitch.  Try the following:

Set a scheduled scan and Save that.

Then turn it off again and Save/Apply (sorry I don't have it open at the moment).

That should, we hope, finally stop this "phantom scan".

forum
Contributor III
Message 3 of 6

Thanks!  And really appreciate knowing it is a glitch so don't have to worry about it being my systems.  Will try as you suggest and if that doesn't work will wait till the glitch is fixed.  Hopefully won't get any vulnerability update messages that cause any problems since  carrying out the update is unchecked. given that it is not scheduled.  I regularly check for updates for my system elsewhere and choose to do so at times when my system would not be disrupted.

Re scheduled scans I guess that may also be a glitch.  At any rate for that at least I can do a full manual scan and not depend on the scheduled scan anymore although it was nice to have that feature.  Updates are sometimes not too up..

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

If you need them Technical Support is always there  and is free of charge.

Contact Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

In regards to the 'Scheduled Scans', the (Default) setting is indeed to perform a (Quick Scan) opposed to a (Full Scan) which was the prior setting. In other words, this should not be construed as a 'Glitch'. Should you have any questions or concerns, simply follow Colleague Ex_Brit's suggestions to contact Technical Support.

I might add that I see no reason to be concerned, as the (On Access Scanner) is so proficient.

All the Best,

CD/Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
forum
Contributor III
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the information on the recent change in the default on scheduled scans. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community