Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myst
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Vulnerability Updates Downloading Endlessly

Jump to solution

I don't have the vulnerability scanner.  But for some reason, my computer keeps telling me that it's downloading vulnerability scanner updates. And doing so is causing the computer to run horribly slowly and basically not function at all.  I tried leaving it on overnight, so that it could finish downloading whatever it's trying to download, but when I got up this morning, it was still telling me not to shut down because it was downloading vulnerability updates.  I have set the McAfee products that I do have to ask me about updates, rather than updating automatically.  But I don't know how to make it stop trying to download these updates to the program that I don't have, and I can't really use my computer.  Any advice is appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Vulnerability Updates Downloading Endlessly

Jump to solution

Hi myst,

Welcome to the McAfee Communities. You may try running the latest MVT, and see if it resolves your problems. I also briefly experienced this identical issue, after a "Auto-Upgrade" last year. In my particular situation, a complete uninstall/reinstall solved my problems.

I might add that I even had the box ticked "Do Not Schedule"

This issue has been discussed before, as you can see in the following thread. Please post back your results....

https://community.mcafee.com/message/307224#307224

All the very best,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/27/14 10:00:23 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

View solution in original post

8 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi myst,

Welcome to the McAfee Communities. You may try running the latest MVT, and see if it resolves your problems. I also briefly experienced this identical issue, after a "Auto-Upgrade" last year. In my particular situation, a complete uninstall/reinstall solved my problems.

I might add that I even had the box ticked "Do Not Schedule"

This issue has been discussed before, as you can see in the following thread. Please post back your results....

https://community.mcafee.com/message/307224#307224

All the very best,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/27/14 10:00:23 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

myst

catdaddy mentioned his issue was resolved by following the instructions here http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

If that does not resolve your issue then I suggest you contact Technical Support under Usefl Links at the top of this page.

Good Luck

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

As K3tg stated, follow up with Technical support. Should following the steps and procedures outlined in my post above not suffice.( Within the link I inserted) to include (TS101331).

You may also benefit by (after) performing the initial steps outlined. Do as Moderator-Peacekeeper suggests

Before installing, run this Pre-install Tool. It cleans your cache,temp files,etc....

Here is the link (Again):http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Again,

All the very Best,

CatDaddy

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 3/27/14 11:09:03 AM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
myst
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you both very much for your help.  I did uninstall follow all the directions for uninstalling and then run the pre-install tool and reinstall the programs.  That took more 3 evenings because my computer kept slowing/crashing/failing to uninstall/install things.  At the end of that process, it did stop trying to download the vulnerability updates, which is good.  Sadly, the computer continues to be slow and crash all the time, to the point of being essentially useless.  But the things you recommended worked for the problem I described, and I appreciate it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi myst,

You are more than welcome.  I am certain that kt3g shares the same sentiments. While it is good to hear that your issues with the "Vulnerability Scanner" is resolved, I am sorry to hear of your "Slow System Performance" This can be attributed to a variety of things.

May I ask what Operating System do you have, and have you recently performed any type of "Routine Maintenance" on it.  Disk Clean/ Defrag / remove any (Unnecessary Programs)/ Bloatware/ obsolete Downloads-Installers/ Desktop Short Cuts....to mention a few? Plus blowing out your computer with compressed air, can help as well.

In addition, have you ran a Full Scan recently?  Sometimes unknowingly you can pick up annoying Adware which can interfere with system performance. In addition to your McAfee, there are a list of Superb Tools, listed under Moderator-Ex_Brit Signature that sometimes detect particular malware that Most Respectable Anti-Virus Solutions don,t detect.

I highly recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware  ( Free Version Only). It is designed to detect what others may miss, and is compatible with McAfee. Just make certain should you choose to Download/Install...Do not accept the "Trial Version". As it contains the RTS module, and will conflict with McAfee.

The (Free) Version will suffice.....

All the very Best...

Regards,

CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
myst
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution

I am running Windows 7.  I did go through my program list and removed a few programs that I didn't recognize.  And I ran a full McAfee scan recently.    I can give Malwarebytes a try.  I have not tried cleaning with compressed air.  I may give that a shot too.

Thank you for your help.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

(Please) make certain your Computer is off and unplugged before doing so. Here are some helpful (safe) hints and suggestions in regards to cleaning Dust.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5882794_clean-dust-pc.html

If I may add also, (Avoid) Registry Cleaners at all costs ! There are a couple out there that can be useful. Having said that, if not familiar on how to use the program. You can find yourself in a worst situation than you were in initially. Notice, I mentioned not the names for apparent reasons. In the South, we call such entities "Snake Oil".

Message was edited by: catdaddy on 4/2/14 7:04:41 PM CDT
Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Locking this Discussion as it is 'Correctly Answered' and over 3 years old.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community