Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neillo
Contributor III
Message 1 of 7

Vulnerability Scanner unwanted update

Jump to solution

Today I was told by vulnerability scanner that there was a critical Windows Update (KB3097877) waiting.

Two days ago, I received 17 important updates from Microsoft and installed them. One of them was KB3097877. This caused Outlook 2010 to crash, so I had to uninstall the update, wait for it to be offered again, then hide it.

Am I now going to be offered this update by vulnerability scanner every week for evermore, or will it recognise that I don't want it?

Neil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Re: Vulnerability Scanner unwanted update

Jump to solution

From my own experience if you unhide the update you should get the revised version if you start a new scan for updates.

Also remember that Microsoft offers free support for any update issues.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Moved this to Vulnerability Scanner section.

It's just doing its job and it isn't setup to read your personal preference settings in Windows Update to hide that particular one.

I doubt it ever will as that would mean it delving into Windows user settings

There are 2 alternatives:

1. Set MVS to NOT scan for Windows Updates in its settings.

2.  Research that particular problem you had to see if there's a way of installing the update without upsetting Outlook.

I'm afraid I can't offer much more in the way of suggestions as I stopped using Outlook years ago as it, to me at least, being too fussy and too complicated.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion.

I've just found how to set MVS to not scan for Windows updates and discovered it is already set that way! Perhaps declining to accept the update caused the box to be ticked. I'll have to wait till next Friday to find out if it works.

Following your second alternative, I've just found on ZDnet that Microsoft have re-issued the update to fix the problem. But when I checked for updates it said there were none available. So I don't know whether it downloaded the fixed update but isn't showing it because the original was hidden or didn't download it because the original is there but hidden. This means I don't know whether, if I unhide it, I will get the faulty one or the replacement installed!

Neil

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

From my own experience if you unhide the update you should get the revised version if you start a new scan for updates.

Also remember that Microsoft offers free support for any update issues.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for that.

When I restored the hidden update, it automatically performed another check for updates, eventually revealing the one update KB3097877.

I allowed this to be installed, and it must have been the replacement, since Outlook is working correctly.

Neil

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

That's great and it's good to see the system work the way it should 😉

xin8068844519
Contributor III
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

yes you are correct. It is as you said. Thanks for the info

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community