Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara2011
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

QuickClean - not deleting all temp files

Hi can anyone help?

A week or so ago I did a quickclean on my computer it deleted the files but said 7 temp files could not be deleted.  I couldn't find them anywhere on my system to delete them.

I  ran quickclean a few times since but it always leaves these7  temporary files.

Today I unistalled McAfee and then I ran MCPR to check that it was all gone.

I downloaded McAfee from the website and then ran a quickclean and now I have 29 temp files which can't be deleted? I'm not sure if they are McAfee related files but with names like McTemp & MCCleanup it sounds like they might be.

a few are

7zS0CCE

setup

networx64

networkx86

wis

Win2K_XP

x64

MCCLEANUP.5.0.285.4-DMPackage_en-US_Release

MNA

McInstrumentationTemp

McTemp

does anyone know what they are,  or why they are there?.

Any help would be appreciated,

Message was edited by: sara2011 on 26/08/11 14:38:01 CDT

Message was edited by: sara2011 on 26/08/11 14:39:15 CDT

Message was edited by: sara2011 on 26/08/11 14:40:06 CDT

Message was edited by: sara2011 on 26/08/11 14:40:46 CDT
3 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: QuickClean - not deleting all temp files

Anything beginning with "Mc...." is probably a McAfee file. I don't know about the rest (temp files often have really strange names). If they're temp files, they should be deleteable unless they're open and being used at the time (which some of them might well be, if they're having log data written to them). I shouldn't worry too much; temp files hide in a hundred locations, and the only times they're a problem is if your disk is getting short on space, or if the sheer number of them is slowing things down, or if some spyware or other malware has been infiltrated onto your system and is sitting in a temp directory (the fake antivirus programs often put files in there).

If you want to clean up the disk, Windows has a built-in program (cleanmgr.exe) which does a reasonable job. There's also CCleaner, which is okay for clearing out all the remaining temp junk that cleanmgr overlooks.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 4

Ccleaner is a good program.The Cleaner tab works well if left at default.Unless you consider yourself an advanced user.Do not use the registry portion of the program.If you do back everything up.It will give you the option.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I omitted to mention the registry cleaner, because even CCleaner's isn't perfect (Ex_Brit would say "just as dangerous as all the rest"). And I would advise against using the Wipe Free Space option, since I think that's what may have mangled my file system last week.

Earlier I came across reports of a Russian site offering a download of "CCleaner" which is fake, and a malware-filled fake at that (and you have to pay for the privilege of running the program). So it might be best to give the link here to Piriform Software (who wrote CCleaner) rather than let people go Googling for it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community