cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neillo
Contributor III
Message 1 of 5

QuickClean I'll select

I have been using McAfee Total Protection for many years, but only in the last month or so have I been getting a pop-up window to say it would like to clear about 1.6 Gb of space on my disk. One of the buttons I can click is "I'll select". Simple logic would suggest that this would show me a list of areas and items that it was proposing to delete and allow me to select those items I want to be deleted. Simple logic doesn't appear to apply here. It does show me a list of what it is proposing to delete, but I am unable to make selections from that list.

What is the point of having a button labelled "I'll select" that doesn't allow me to make a selection? Or am I missing something here?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: QuickClean I'll select

This could be related to a similar problem with a different module reported elsewhere.  ​ can you or one of your co-workers suggest something here other than running the Virtual Technician and/or completely uninstalling/reinstalling the product as per TS101331?

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 5

The settings option under quick clean does allow us to choose the locations and the items that you want to clean. It also provides option to choose individual browser that needs to be cleaned of cookies, cache files and history

If you still have this issue, it would be helpful if you could post a snapshot.

Version of McAfee :

McAfee Quick Clean and Shredder version :

Cheers

Sanjay S

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 5

I would also add that the program defaults to a set schedule with default cleaning options. Best to as Samjay suggested set what options you want cleaned and... set your own schedule and select "Do not Schedule" and do a manual cleaning.

I do agree it should/could show what is cleaned but there can be heaps of deletions so maybe not practical. This something you can add as an idea in Consumer ideas though.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 5 of 5

Hi Sanjay & ​,

Thank you for your replies.

As I said, I have been using Total Protection for many years and this has only started happening recently. In fact, it has become more annoying in the last couple of weeks (since the McAfee symbol changed) - now, after I cancel the clean, the McAfee icon continues to display the "in use" symbol until I have opened Total Protection and clicked the "PC and Home Network Tools" button.

​, when I click "I'll select", it DOES display every file it is proposing to clean, it just doesn't allow me to select from the display. Perhaps "I'll select" should be changed to "Preview", which would remove the confusion.

Following your suggestions, I have now made changes to the default settings and will see what happens next Tuesday.

Regards,

Neil

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community