Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
triviatus
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Non download download

Jump to solution

At the start of a regular scheduled security scan, Vulnerability Scanner informed me of an 'update' which I thought may be handy - Malicious Software Removal Tool. This was Sunday morning. On Monday morning it is still being shown as 'downloading' although nothing is shown in Programs listing. I tried to cancel it but the cancel button does nothing. I am worried incase this prevents other update notifications are affected. How can I stop this non-downloading download?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
triviatus
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Re: Non download download

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your kind help. The situation seemed to have resolved itself (although the whole process took getting on for 29 hours). I don't suppose the fact that I was doing some video editing at the time could have had anything to do with it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Moved to Consumer > PC Optimization > Vulnerablity Scanner > Discussions

The program in which you are referring to, is (KB890830) which is updated monthly by Microsoft. One alternative is to go to Navigation/Vulnerablity Scanner/Custom Scan Settings and check the box to " Don't check for Windows Updates"

The current Version/Build for Vulnerability Scanner is 4.0.8025. You may also run the latest McAfee Virtual Technician

http://mvt.mcafee.com and see if it detects any issues and attempts to resolve them.

I might add that we have brought up a ' Topic of discussion' in regards to VS for todays Conference call. We could add this to it as well, I suppose.

I would also view your Windows Update History to confirm that (MRT) is installed for the month of May.

All the best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

It's probably a glitch. To reiterate Catdaddy, MSRT, better known as MRT.exe, is a monthly download with Windows Update and should always be downloaded as part of the "Patch Tuesday" updates.  It never shows as an installed programme so you wont see it listed anywhere as such.

Go to Windows Update and make sure it is up to date and, if you hid that particular one, unhide it and install it.   It is a vital part of your system and should be allowed to do it's thing every month.

We will report this mistake that VS is making.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Capture.JPG

It will not be listed in your 'Control Panel', however will be in your Windows Update History.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Remember a fresh one is installed EVERY month.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

True,,,  That is why I asked the OP to check his (Windows Update History) to make certain the current tool for (May) had indeed been installed. As you stated it is a important part of our Monthly updates.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
triviatus
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for your kind help. The situation seemed to have resolved itself (although the whole process took getting on for 29 hours). I don't suppose the fact that I was doing some video editing at the time could have had anything to do with it.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Strange? In any case glad that all is okay now

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

triviatus wrote:

LOL, never let it be said that your video work had anything at all to do with that.

Glad it's OK now. Good luck

xin8068844519
Contributor III
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

That's a new info for me. Cheers

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community