Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 34

Re: No option to turn-off vulnerability scanner

Jump to solution

I mentioned the need for him to keep his System/Add-ons current/updated in my first post to him.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bb1769
Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Jump to solution

I'd prefer not to turn off scheduled scans but not get the annoying prompts to install program updates. The vulnerability scanner gives false results anyway. For instance, it kept wanting to update 7-Zip to version 9.20. Well, v. 9.20 was actually the version I had installed years ago, so it never really updated it (I manually installed v. 16!). It also falsely reported an old Java JDK version install.

I did find a way to shut it up though: uninstall McAfee entirely, then reinstall, but check the Custom install option (instead of Complete) during the install. In the install options, I unchecked the Vulnerability Scanner option. That worked -- no more annoying program update prompts. If you do that, just be sure before you uninstall that your computer can get to the online reinstall, since you need that unique download tied to your computer to get it to install.

McAfee really should have a "Change" option in the Windows Programs & Features item for the software, to enable you to uninstall portions of the software.

Gene
Former Member
Message 13 of 34

Jump to solution

I've been using computers since my Commodore 64 and I'm currently using a homebrew machine that's gone through several generations of upgrades. I don't need the engineer treating me like a child who just got his first computer. I have valid reasons not to upgrade certain programs -- three programs, to be exact.

I hate my work to be interrupted by automatic services. Windows 10 updates are bad enough. I liked Windows 7 best. I have no automatic virus scan scheduled. I do a full scan manually Saturday overnight and then a complete backup on Sunday.

I agree this is an issue with my current version, which was apparently installed May 25, because this notifications just started. I got another notice a few minutes ago. My current versions are:

SecurityCenter  14.0.9029

Anti-Virus      18.0.9019

Firewall        15.0.9009

Shredder        14.0.9014

Vulnerability   4.0.9022

Thanks for you help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 34

Jump to solution

Yes some updates offered are not relevant and those are bugs in the system.  Sometimes though, as is the case with 7-Zip, the software is seeing an update but because 9.20 is so old it's getting confused I think.  I suggest anyone getting this particular error uninstalling that 9.20 version and downloading the current one which is way beyond that version.

Also you will always get the nag screen if you keep it auto-scanning on a regular basis.  Many, including myself, prefer to run it manually.

Suffice it to say, the current version is a bit buggy so hopefully it will be sorted out in the near future.

Apart from the 7-zip anomaly and the pop-up even when off bug are any of you still getting incorrect software version notices for other software? 

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 34

Jump to solution

Hi Gene,

You are more than welcome I am glad that you finally achieved your goal. It does seem to be this version is a bit 'Buggy', having said that it is indeed being looked into. As I mentioned earlier on, shortly after my response to you. The same thing occurred to me and I have mine set to run 'Manually'.

Hopefully in the future you may indeed choose to re-install. Until then I will take the liberty of marking your thread as 'Correctly Answered'

All the very Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Gene
Former Member
Message 16 of 34

Jump to solution

The vulnerability scanner could be useful, but only if there was a way to exclude certain programs.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 34

Jump to solution

Good idea, or at least the option to ignore something in the future.

You could suggest it here: Product Ideas

jonnywalker
Contributor III
Message 18 of 34

Jump to solution

Just want to say this happens to me to, it is turned of but scans anyway.  version 4.0 Build 14.0.9014  Updated 2016.05.27

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 34

Jump to solution

Thank you for informing us of this. The version/build in which you have does it as well? The Latest VS is 4.0. 9022

This has been brought to the Engineer's attention and is being analyzed. I may make a point to mention your Build # as well, during our upcoming Conference Call Monday.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jonnywalker
Contributor III
Message 20 of 34

Jump to solution

Hi there. My misstake, the version I have is the one you mentioned . When I started my computer yesterday McAfee made a vulnerable scan although I had unchecked the options of both types of scanning schemes. I prefer to the scan manually. I don´t complain of the feature itself  just that I want to decide when to do this not McAfee program. Sorry for my misstake regarding the version of the VS. Thanks for your replay. VS 14.0.9022

JW

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community