Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gene
Former Member
Message 1 of 34

No option to turn-off vulnerability scanner

Jump to solution

It's a serious aggravation getting daily notices that a few programs are out of date. If I go to the Security Center and uncheck the programs, I get the same message later. How do I turn off this obtrusive and unnecessary utility. There is no option in the Security Center to turn it off, despite such statements in older posts. I simply do not want it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bb1769
Contributor
Message 12 of 34

Re: No option to turn-off vulnerability scanner

Jump to solution

I'd prefer not to turn off scheduled scans but not get the annoying prompts to install program updates. The vulnerability scanner gives false results anyway. For instance, it kept wanting to update 7-Zip to version 9.20. Well, v. 9.20 was actually the version I had installed years ago, so it never really updated it (I manually installed v. 16!). It also falsely reported an old Java JDK version install.

I did find a way to shut it up though: uninstall McAfee entirely, then reinstall, but check the Custom install option (instead of Complete) during the install. In the install options, I unchecked the Vulnerability Scanner option. That worked -- no more annoying program update prompts. If you do that, just be sure before you uninstall that your computer can get to the online reinstall, since you need that unique download tied to your computer to get it to install.

McAfee really should have a "Change" option in the Windows Programs & Features item for the software, to enable you to uninstall portions of the software.

View solution in original post

33 Replies
Gene
Former Member
Message 2 of 34

Jump to solution

I should add that I turned off scheduled scans long ago and checked "Don't set a scan schedule." Well, it scans on its own regardless of my wishes.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 34

Jump to solution

Hi Gene,

That certainly is strange, could you please provide the Version/Build of your McAfee Security Center ?

Since you have made up your mind that you do not wish to use this feature, and no longer wish for it to be a part of your Software Protection. You can always elect to Uninstall/Reinstall your Software, and choose the (Custom) installation and elect to not install this particular feature.

Please make sure you remove your software from your Control Panel/Add Remove/Programs Features/Restart. Then follow up with the Latest McAfee (MCPR) Tool/Restart...before going to your account to (Re-Install).

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Also make certain you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates, to include Internet Explorer/All Add-ons/Extensions to include Adobe Flash Player. ( Pay close attention to (Not) select 'Optional Offers') should you need to update.

Please kindly inform us of your results, And I hope this resolves your issues.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 34

Jump to solution

So the option in Vulnerability scanner to not to select a scan schedule does not work. I will test that and pass it onto the area who looks after the module if I see the issue.

What CD posted will install McAfee without installing The Vulnerability Scanner so this should be what you want.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 34

Jump to solution

Oh and what version and build number is your Vulnerability scanner?

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 34

Jump to solution

CD messaged me it just prompted him saying 2 windows updates are available and he had scheduled scan off. Will pass this up the line

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 34

Jump to solution

Next time it happens perhaps a screenshot would be helpful.

There is an option to turn off Vulnerability Scanner scheduled scans but you have to go looking for it.

Open SecurityCenter and go to PC and Home Network Tools

Click Vulnerability Scanner

Click Scheduled Scan Settings

Scroll down to find the button tom turn it off, click that and select Apply

Capture.JPG

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 34

Jump to solution

With that I take it all back, mine just did exactly the same thing even though it's off.

I will email out Intel expert on Vul Scanner to ask about it.  This must be new behaviour in the latest build.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 34

Jump to solution

It appears that the popups occurring even when scanning is turned off is a bug, however I have yet to have that theory verified.

The engineer commented however, why hasn't Gene updated all those various things anyway?

It's in your interest to keep your machine completely up to date, even things you may not use.

That's not counting the false findings it occasionally nags about - those are definitely bug-related.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 34

Jump to solution

Here are his exact comments:

It looks like Peter  (that's me) is on the right track – simply turning off VUL schedule should prevent whatever problem “Gene” is seeing.  I’m also concerned that

ð  he says the notices are “daily” – this shouldn’t occur. 

§  I’d like details about what updates we’re “nagging” him about. 

§  I’d also like to know why he isn’t updating his system – denying updates can potentially invalidate the security we provide

ð  he says he turned off “Scheduled scans” – I really hope he hasn’t turned off VirusScan’s scheduled scans (which would be a “bad thing” and also wouldn’t stop VUL scans).

If disabling the schedule doesn’t stop the automated scan, then this is indeed a bug.  Selvan is already going to get this issue investigated.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community