cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WipedOut
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

NTLDR Missing

I'm using a Dell Dimension 3000 workstation with McAfee Security Center, Running Windows XP, service pack 2/3. I've gotten the subject error message 3 - 4 times in the last year when booting up. The last 2 times I remember having used QuckClean. This isn't a new problem as the link below attests. When I contacted Dell support they tried something like the solution in the below link, without success. I therefore have to restore the OS and my data.

This shouldn't happen at all. What's being done to fix this problem?

QuickClean and NTLDR missing (Hlxcar)

:mad:
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

RE: NTLDR Missing

This is more a Windows problem than a McAfee one as I doubt very much that McAfee has caused it.

For now I would cease using Quickclean and any other registry cleaner. Personally I have found that they do more harm than good.
Quickclean, set to default settings, should only do what regular computer maintenance does in any case, whether it be automatic or via the Control Panel, System & Maintenance.

Is this Microsoft document any help? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397

I no longer have XP but recall that NTLDR is missing was something to do with a corrupted boot sector.

If you have an XP SP3 installation disk you could try the following. (I made myself one using Autostreamer) http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/slipstream_sp2/slipstream_sp2.shtml it's for SP2 but works for SP3.
Or: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp )
Go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and click Enter.

Windows will then check that all system files are correctly in their original form.

You could also try this:

1. Load Windows XP CD into CD drive.
2. Make sure BIOS is set to boot to CD drive.
3. Boot the computer from CD.
4. At menu, press "R" to load Recovery Console.
5. Select the installation to be fixed.
*The following instructions assume CD-ROM is labeled as drive D and the hard drive partition the windows installation is on is labeled as drive C. Replace the letters accordingly.
6. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\" and press ENTER.
7. Type "COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\" and press ENTER.
8. Remove CD and type "EXIT" and press ENTER (to reboot your computer).
TXRoger
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Re: RE: NTLDR Missing

This is 100% a McAfee QuickClean problem.  I just tested it by running the QuickClean tool with a Explorer window open to C:\.  I confirmed NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI were in C:\   -- I WATCHED QuickClean remove them!!!

WHY IS McAfee REMOVING VITAL SYSTEM FILES?

THIS MUST BE CORRECTED IMMEDIATELY!!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I can't answer that and I agree, it shouldn't be happening.  I suggest contacting Technical Support Chat.  They can escalate the issue to much higher levels than I can.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi TXRoger,

Could you please confirm whether are you using any other registry cleaners in the computer.Since quick clean is a pc optmisation tool it wont detect and delete any system files. Also may I know whether are you using the same computer in which the above files were deleted !

Regards,

Dinesh K

TXRoger
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Not true.  QuickClean IS deleting the system files.  I can replicate the problem.  Tech Chat "escalated" and will call me back "within 24 hours".

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community