Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truffle
Contributor III
Message 61 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

Maye I don't understand what you mean by a custom install.  Wouldn't that require me to do Uninstall/Re-install?

Do they know what the root cause is?  Any idea when we will see a fix?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 62 of 146

Jump to solution

Yes a Complete Uninstall requires just that (Re-install). I meant try that since you say you do not have the choice to do a (Custom) install.Which allows you to exclude the 'Quick Clean and Shredder Feature'.  Yes. We will be updated when the fix is completed.

I might add that to do a (Custom) install. It involves also uninstalling from your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Restart. Then follow up with the latest  MCPR Tool/Restart. Then of course go to your account and Download/Install.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
jonno2001
Contributor II
Message 63 of 146

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback so far catdaddy, but strange how McAfee caused the issue, seemingly with an update on-or-around December 16th, yet they can't simply replace the broken file(s),

I appreciate they may need more time to find a long-term solution and that re-installing is a temporary fix for those wanting to find a work-around right now

But the hassle and small risk of greater problems uninstalling/re-installing isn't worth it  ... i'll just still with renaming the file for now, been working well enough and still fully protected

I'll await your further updates or a McAfee release statement

gogman69-mcafee
Former Member
Message 64 of 146

Jump to solution

Subscribed.

Hello, i'm also hit with the same symptom described in this thread.

I have been long time user of mcafee total protection packages dating back to 2013.

I have never experienced this symptom until now.  And what's different this time is that i have purchased the mcafee total protection subscription directly from mcafee this past holiday in dec 2016, which i believe is the total protection 2017 for unlimited devices.

I have installed the new total protection on 3 machines.

All 3 machines (Windows 7 SP1 x64) are exhibiting the same symptom.

Here's what i see in the About box,

McAfee Total Protection

Version: 14.0

Release Name: 14.0 R11

McAfee Security Center

Version: 15.0

Build: 15.0.2063

Affld: 0   <<-----------------------

Language: en-us

Last update: 12/24/2016

What i noticed right away with this version of Total Protection purchased in dec 2016 directly from mcafee is that the UI looks different than the one i usually purchase from Amazon and redeeming the retail card (Affld: 1289).

The previous Total protection UI has the green'ish color.

And the one from dec 2016 total protection bought directly from mcafee has the blue'ish color.

Also i have on other machine mcafee total protection that is version 15.1, Release Name: 15.1 R0.

Shouldn't the version i installed from dec 2016 total protection purchased be running the version 15 instead of version 14?

Thanks much.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 65 of 146

Jump to solution

At the present time you will receive the 14.0 R11 Version/Build. From my understanding, they will resume 'Throttling' out the 15.1 R0 Version/Build shortly. During the interim you are still properly protected.

All the Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 66 of 146

Jump to solution

yeah .. I think I'll also hide the .exe as a workaround for now.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 67 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

Thank you And thank you and everyone for your patience and understanding.

All the Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
smartcat
Contributor II
Message 68 of 146

Jump to solution

I guess renaming file QcShm.exe to QcShm.exe.old located in C:\Program Files\McAfee\MQS will be similar to for new install with out an option of Quick clean.

truffle
Contributor III
Message 69 of 146

Jump to solution

First of all, I want to thank the volunteer moderators for all their effects in getting this issue to Mcafee's engineering team.  However, I would think that Mcafee is putting much of their resources into version 15.1 and really would rather not try to fix a bug in a version that will soon be obsolete.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 70 of 146

Jump to solution

Let's hope Dell hurries up and implements version updates.  It's them that are holding that up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community