Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
truffle
Contributor III
Message 31 of 146

Re: Multiple copies of Quick CLean (Qcshm.exe) running

Jump to solution

Ok - same problem.  I would guess many people have it, but very few check the Task Manager.  For me I get a new QcShm.exe every three hours and when Mcafee checks for a an update  as well as the two conditions you see.  Funny that I don't get a new QcShm.exe when I manually check for an update.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 32 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

Just to clarify my thinking. Are you saying that you have the QcShm.exe process running in your Task Manager, and you have not ran a scan? Also if you go to Navigation/Quick Clean and open it but not perform a scan, it creates another running process of QcShm.exe ?  This totally perplexes me?

I was upgraded on 10/17/2016;  (McAfee Total Protection)

Version:15.1

Release Name 15.R0

McAfee Security Center              McAfee Quick Clean and Shredder

Version: 15.1                               Version:15.0

Build: 15.1.156                            Build: 15.0.121

Affld :0                                       

The last time I performed a Quick Clean Task, I did indeed notice (1) QcShm.exe process running in my Task Manager. However after completion and a (Reboot) the process was not present. I have left my machine running for 3 consecutive days, and still no sign of the process.

Having said this...There clearly is a issue for so many to experience such, even one of our Tier 2.5 Techs has replicated it. I will definitely get back with everyone this coming Monday, after our Conference call. Until then I want to thank everyone for your patience.

Sincerely,

Cliff/CD      

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
truffle
Contributor III
Message 33 of 146

Jump to solution

My Mcafee:

Version: 14.0

Release Name 14.0 R11

Version: 15.0                               Version:15.0

Build: 15.0.2063                          Build: 15.0.2049

Affld :105-338 

A new QcShm.exe occurs:

Once every 3 hours

Every time Mcafee checks for an update (not when I do a manual update)

When I open the "about" window

When I open the Quickclean window

NO Quickclean actions are scheduled!

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 34 of 146

Jump to solution

​,

Thank you for your Version/Build information.  Please be assured I will pass this on during our call.

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
truffle
Contributor III
Message 35 of 146

Jump to solution

Also I can delete QcShm.exe via task manager, however, if I use "taskkill" via a CMD window, I get the response: "There is currently no instance executed by this task."  This may indicate that QcShm.exe is not actually executing, but just taking up memory space.

My machine is running WIN7 64bit pro

brad_the_dad
Contributor
Message 36 of 146

Jump to solution

I haven't seen any QcShm.exe processes in the last 48 hours.

I have the same Build levels as ​ and I've tried the technique mentioned of clicking the "about" .. but nothing

I am able to get into my Interface and all is well. Mysterious

wixey
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 37 of 146

Jump to solution

My Build levels are the same as truffle's and I'm experiencing the exact same issues except on my version, a copy of QcShm.exe does not appear every 3 hours. I'm not sure about automatic updates as I almost always do manual checks, which don't make new copies of QcShm.exe.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 146

Jump to solution

For all Concerned, just to clarify my thinking. It is my understanding that everyone experiencing this issue are running the following Version/Build or lower?

Version: 14.0

Release Name 14.0 R11

Version: 15.0                               Version:15.0

Build: 15.0.2063                          Build: 15.0.2049

Affld :105-338

Simply meaning that this issue is not seen to be a problem with the 15.1x Version/Build?

Are there any users that have a Affld # 0? Meaning there subscription was purchased directly from McAfee.

These things I need to know before bringing up this problem to our Senior Level Engineers.

Much Appreciated,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
truffle
Contributor III
Message 39 of 146

Jump to solution

Matches my version/build

smartcat
Contributor II
Message 40 of 146

Jump to solution

Hi. I have above versions of the product but Affld # 0.

Interesting that I renamed QcShm.exe to QcShm.exe.old just to see what error I will get in event log after clicking on "About" link, and I see

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {2F4C0E0C-80AD-4105-9A0F-4BA90BB64296}. The error:

"2"

Happened while starting this command:

"c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\mqs\qcshm.exe" -Embedding.

then I rolled back file name .

So far I do not see any instances of QcShm.exe running.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community