cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_77888
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Mcafee Total Protection arbitrarily deleting emails!!

So... sometime after June 2011, I noticed that the UI for McAfee Total Protection had changed. No huge problem I thought? Just a cosmetic change to the interface? The features have remained the same?

Well... It turns out not exactly!!

The QuickClean function, previously within the optimisation tab (I think?), is now within the new “PC and Home Network Tools”. I have continued to use this facility, with the intention of keeping my machine running optimally.

However!! It transpires that within this change/upgrade of the UI, the settings of the QuickClean were changed without any notice!

Within the Email/Outlook section, I have always ticked the deleted items, in order to get rid of junk(not selected within outlook) and NOT the sent items folder, as I keep a record of ALL of my sent items (archived and going back many years).

Upon checking the settings (as there are approximately 50 registry items that Total Protection cannot clean), I noticed that the deleted items AND NOW THE SENT ITEMS have been ticked!!!!!

Lo and behold, upon checking, my sent items folder is empty!!!!!!!

The only items I still have, are those within the archives up to the end of May 2011.

I CAN’T BELIEVE McAfee have allowed this settings override to happen during the update/upgrade.

Colour me SERIOUSLY ANNOYED!!!!!

On top of it all, this is a personal email account, utilising pop/smtp, not Exchange, or IMAP. It therefore seems that these emails are gone for good?

If anyone out there knows of a way to retrieve emails deleted in this fashion, PLEASE let me know?

6 Replies
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: Mcafee Total Protection arbitrarily deleting emails!!

I've moved this discussion from your private area to our home and home office area for better attention. Hopefully an expert can help you soon. Totally understand about being annoyed and I'm sure there is a way to get your emails back.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

I moved this to Quickclean as your problem is with that utility.  I don't use Outlook but my Windows Mail boxes are not checked by default so hopefully a Quickclean expert will spot this soon.  I will flag it for attention.

user_77888
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

April & Ex_Brit, Thank you for moving this to a more suitable location. Unfortunately it has been a long time and there has been no further response.

I plan to try to contact somebody for "Quick Clean" supprt, by telephone, however, would appreciate any furtehr assistance you could provide.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

My goodness, this was never settled?   I assumed you had contacted Technical Support regarding this issue.

That's what I think is your best option now:  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=2057&sg=TS

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/05/13 11:05:53 EDT AM
Lang
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

pure junk it syops working every 4 days .

sivasubramanian
Message 7 of 7

@Lang

Could you please let us know whether you have enabled the field under McAfee Quick Clean settings to deleted items / Sent items. Below is the screenshots for the same. If so, please disable the settings.

emails getting deleted.png

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community