cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amgeek02476
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Location of Shred option on context menus

McAfee recently added a new selection, "Shred," to my context menus. (I have AV+ 2011 and Quick Clean and Shredder 11.0 Build 11.0.393). Shred appears at the top of the context menus where it is too easy to invoke accidentally. I would like to move Shred to a lower position on the context menus. How do I do it?

A level 2 customer support person told me that there is no way to move the Shred option down on the context menus or go back to an older version of Shredder where this might be possible. I think that sucks! It is too easy to accidentally shred a file or directory. If McAfee is not going to provide the option of moving the Shred selection, the selection should default to the lowest position on the menu, where I believe it will be least likely to be selected in error.

5 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Location of Shred option on context menus

You make a good point. Having a Shred option at the top of the context menu is a dangerous thing. However, your tech contact is also right : the context menu is part of the operating system, and I don't know a way to mess around with the order of things in the menu (although I bet if you ask someone over at SysInternals they'll come back with a really neat little utility to do the job).

Having said that, I have come across a recommendation in a Technet forum for Vista which gives a link to a non-Microsoft website. That site discusses a program which can be used to disable/enable items in a Context Menu. If you want to try it, I offer no opinion whatsoever as to the safety or reliability of the program; it's a case of Use At Your Own Risk. (If I'd tried it myself and could say what it was like, I could at least rate it).

The link is to this website.

There is another way to deal with this problem, especially if you don't mind having Shred in there somewhere. If you download Malwarebytes and look in the Settings, there is in there somewhere an option to add Scan With Malwarebytes to Context Menus. This, if you check the option, will go in as the first entry in the menu and Shred will be pushed down to second place.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Moved out of Help into Home & Home Office PC Optimization

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 6

Hmmm see what you mean I accidently nearly shredded my my games folder testing this.

I suggest adding this as an idea in the ideas section

https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

The ideas are reviewed by those who have a say in new features

yjain
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

This is a good suggestion and we will work on including this as part of upcoming release.

Before shreder actually acts on the file it will show and alert to reconfirm. This alert will need user action therefore it will avoid any accidental click on the shred option.

Regards

Yogesh

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 6

Looking forward to seeing this in beta version.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community