Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 21 of 86

Re: Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

To-day, I've had a 4 hour 'Chat' session with Microsoft Tech Support.

After much frustration, I managed to get them to, more or less, agree that this issue lies firmly in Microsoft's court.  Furthermore, I'm having a remote access session with a MS 2nd line support tech on Wednesday afternoon.

Watch this space for a further update.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 22 of 86

Jump to solution

I was having my remote access session with a, supposedly, MS 2nd Line support when out of the blue the session was ended by him, no phone call in explanation, no email either.  It turns out he dismissed the issue as a McAfee issue.  Words do not fail me; however, I don't want to be sanctioned for verbal abuse!!

Later

Had another 4 hour 'Chat' with another Answer Desk support tech; this lady / gent was as different again the 2nd line support tech earlier - like the difference between chalk and cheese.

I won't bore you with all the details; however, this issue has been referred to MS's Professional Support team.  They will be contacting me on Saturday, 17th June hopefully to take this further.

Peacekeeper
Message 23 of 86

Jump to solution

Best of luck let us know the result please.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 24 of 86

Jump to solution

Yes please apprise us of what Support concludes.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 25 of 86

Jump to solution

After a spluttering and stuttering start, I did have my remote access session with MS's Professional Support.

After confirming what had transpired before, he has initially been concentrating on the permissions aspect of the file(s) & folder(s).  However, little progress has been made other than they seem fairly sure it is a permissions related issue.

Ultimately we aim to have a couple of remote sessions per week or more frequently as necessary; however, due to our other commitments, we agreed to have our next remote session next Friday, 30th June.

Peacekeeper
Message 26 of 86

Jump to solution

Ok thanks for your update

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 86

Jump to solution

I guess this could be unmarked as a question (for McAfee) at least?    In my experience deleting PDF's has often been problematic unless all hooks from your PDF viewer programme, Adobe or whatever, are closed using the Task Manager "Show processes from all users" option.   Safe Mode usually works however.   It's interesting that Microsoft have taken ownership of this.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 28 of 86

Jump to solution

It's not just .pdf files that cause this issue; for sure .txt & .png files also exhibit the symptoms, and possibly others which I have not found.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 86

Jump to solution

Interesting.  Well good luck 😉

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 30 of 86

Jump to solution

I (eventually) had my remote session with a Microsoft 2nd-level support tech.  Although they explored various possibilities as to the cause of this issue, they were not successful in diagnosing the problem.

The issue has now been referred to Microsoft's 3rd-level support for further investigation.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community