I think I said earlier, it's possible whatever PDF handling software you have is "hooking" it.
Or maybe your backup software is doing the same thing.
Without my having to read everything posted again did you try this is Safe Mode?
McAfee's Project Team have been in contact earlier to-day and have booked a remote access session with me for Wednesday, 9th August; it has only taken them FIVE weeks to respond!!
After a 7 day delay, I finally had my remote access session with a tech from McAfee's Project Team earlier this evening, with a glimmer of success.
He went through everything that the 2nd-line tech did all those weeks ago, and came to the following conclusions -
1. none of my 'test files' were open in another apps / processes;
2. all file permissions and user profiles are as they should be;
3. files could not be shredded using 'right-click option' on the files in File Explorer;
4. if these same files were put in a temporary folder, the folder and files could be shredded directly from Total Protection (i.e. not 'right-clicking' the folder); and,
5. other users are experiencing issues shredding files from File Explorer, although for different reasons, when running on a clean install of Windows 10 v1703.
As it stands at the moment, I have a work-around to my issue (#4 above) and the tech took copious logs and my test files to reproduce the issue on one of their own PCs running a clean install of Windows 10 v1703.
So there you have it, there IS a bug in Total Protection, and my sanity has at last been restored!!!
I will keep you posted as to the outcome of this issue.
New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.
Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership: