Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 86

Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

Not always, but when I try to shred a single file I get the following error message -

McAfee #01.PNG

I've been in touch with Microsoft, and this is what they think -

MS #03.PNG

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 85 of 86

Re: Error attempting to Shred a SINGLE file

Jump to solution

With the release of Total Protection v16.0.R9 this issue has finally been resolved!!

View solution in original post

85 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 86

Jump to solution

Are you trying to shred a McAfee file?  What is the name of this file?

I just shredded a temp file successfully.

Some files are "in use by another process" so can't be deleted under normal conditions.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 86

Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from Other McAfee Consumer Products to QuickClean and Shredder

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 86

Jump to solution

The file I'm trying to shred is not a McAfee file; it is -

'Diary Report I F Mosley 09-04-1949.pdf'

It contains personal medical information, hence this is why I want to shred it.  This file can be successfully opened by Adobe Reader and I delete it by Right Click => Delete.

Another file giving a similar issue is

'Test File.txt'

which is an empty text file.

In fact, any number of files with different extensions can sometimes produce similar errors.  The issue is not limited the Window Temporary files location.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 86

Jump to solution

This would have to ,be monitored by a support person lionked to your computer, and of course you may not like to do that.

Have you tried doing it in Safe Mode?   Most software induced locks on files are inactive in that mode.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 86

Jump to solution

Yes I have loaded in 'Safe Mode'; however, the issue still persists.

I've had a couple of remote access sessions with McAfee support, the last being carried by a 2nd line tech; they are of the opinion that it is a permissions issue with the file / folder.

I feel like as if I'm between a rock and a hard face - MS & McAfee tech support each 'blaming' each other of being responsible for causing the issue.

However, this does help not resolve the issue for ME.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 86

Jump to solution

I will bring this up as a Topic of discussion on today's Conference Call.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 86

Jump to solution

By way of further information . . .

The issue was not present while running the Anniversary (1607) release of Windows 10; it was still OK after I'd updated - 'in-situ' - to the Creators (1703) release by downloading the update via Windows Update and installing it over my 1607 system.  The issue has only arisen since doing a clean install of 1703.

This is why I believe the issue should be owned by Microsoft; this is what they initially said -

MS #02.PNG

McAfee tech support say they do not rely on registry entries other than those specifically installed and used by them, which has a ring of logic and truth about it

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 86

Jump to solution

That's odd indeed.   I'll try to alert the resident tecnician to comment on this.

​ could you or one of your colleagues assist here please?

​ could you respond with the support session ID numbers so he can refer to them please?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 86

Jump to solution

The only one I can find is 22366782076 (484570 ?).

When I contact McAfee Support they usually find me on the systems by using my email address, which I can provide if necessary, which usually connects to my tickets; the sessions were on 14th & 21st May.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community