Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
countcristo
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Defragging After An Infection - Moved from 'West Yorkshire Police Thread'

Moved from https://community.mcafee.com/thread/44729?tstart=0 Moderator

It seems I was having a blonde moment and didn't think to search for files with "locked-" in the name LOL

After deleting them all though it still seems to have eaten a sizeable amount of my HDD space, tips on a safe way to defragment it by any chance, anyone? I still think the after effects are being felt by my laptop, so once I've got 100% of my files on all my storage I may just do a reinstall.. but I'm just too lazy to do that currently

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 2:42:41 EDT PM
5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Defragging After An Infection - Moved from 'West Yorkshire Police Thread'

I can recommend Auslogics Free Defragmenter:  http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/   JUST the defragmenter, not the booster.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 12:15:49 EDT PM
countcristo
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi Ex Brit, ty for that link I am running it now! Should I avoid the booster then? (sorry guys, don't mean to hijack the thread but if your systems are anything like mine they've been cluttered and slowed by this virus)

PS I also had a huge problem with my firefox after getting rid of this virus. It seemed to dissipate after a couple of days, just noting this in case anyone else had that problem.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 12:16:03 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

I will never recommend "Boosters, Speeder-uppers etc." as they are all registry cleaners by any other name and those have been proven to me time and again to wreck systems eventually by deleting important registry keys.   OK the benefit may be apparent at first and then you increasingly have to deal with software and even hardware that suddenly and mysteriously starts failing.

Unless you really know what you are doing and they have a restore button, avoid them like the plague.

That particular one is simply a plug to get you interested in purchasing something I think.  But their defragger is a good one and easy to use and is far, far faster than Windows own.

One thing you could be doing to speed up your system is to get rid of the junk using Disk Cleanup - usually found in Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools pr through the Control Panel > System and Maintenance.

Also clear your temps:

In XP/Vista & Windows 7 it is easy to delete temporary files by going to Start/Run and enter temp then click OK, then in the windows that opens click Edit > Select All then click Shift/Delete at the same time.  Some will delete, others wont, that's OK.

Repeat the above typing in %temp%.

They wont all go but most will.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 8:56:39 EDT AM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 12:16:17 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

I've given you your own thread on the subject of defragging as the original was getting so long.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 12:16:34 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Moved to PC Optimization.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/05/12 12:16:51 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community