cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 31 of 42

Re: BEWARE vulnerability scanner

This is all very good advice for future users, especially the verification of firewall ports.  In my case, I had already done all, but the thought is still appreciated.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 32 of 42

Ex_Brit wrote:

You stated:

So, in summary, MVM will scan the hard drive for files (even for files which aren't installed) and will deem them a vulnerability

and then introduce a new potential vulnerability by installing software onto the machine as well as retaining the original files

in their original locations which is supposedly a vulnerability in the first place.

If it is detecting software you feel you no longer have, there has be a remnant of it hanging around in the registry..

Do as my contact suggested, Google how to completely remove utorrent.

I've already clearly stated that there's no remnant in the registry.  There is a sole utorrent.exe file on the computer in Firefox's download directory (which happens to be c:\[username]\Downloads).  It is not installed on the machine.  When I delete that file, MVM does not reference uTorrent.  But I should not have to delete *.exe files from my hard drive to prevent VS from wanting to update my entire system.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 33 of 42

Clearing Firefox's downloads list is not deleting files, only clearing temps.   You should be doing that anyway as routine computer maintenance.

The last suggestion I have from my contact is:  "He might want to go install it again, then uninstall it properly via Control Panel.  Worst case, no change.  Best case, it resolves his issue."

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 34 of 42

Ex_Brit wrote:

Clearing Firefox's downloads list is not deleting files, only clearing temps.   You should be doing that anyway as routine computer maintenance.

Up to now you've given some very good advice and I thank you for it, but I can't let this sentence stand.  Who gets to mandate whether I (or anyone) should be deleting all of the files in download directories (or even clearing download lists) as routine computer maintenance?  A download directory is like a desk's inbox or even an e-mail inbox; each user can determine his or her own the best strategy for files maintenance.

Again, thank you for the suggestions on how to work around the gaps in functionality of McAfee's Vulnerability Scanner.  Hopefully someone at McAfee will review my issue and take it to heart in a future update.  I'm obviously not the only person affected.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 35 of 42

You don't understand what I was saying.  The Firefox downloads button page that comes up in your browser is not your actual downloads folder in your Windows User Name library (Documents, pictures, downloads etc. etc.), it's merely a record of what you downloaded and is a temp folder and I was mentioning it merely to eliminate possible causes of the problem. 

Forget it then.  I'm not going to bother with any more suggestions.     Please contact Tech Support if the issue is still bugging you.

You and the O.P. are the only two reporting this particular issue, so no it's not widespread I would say, considering there are several 100 million customers.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 36 of 42

I understand very clearly what you said--you seem to not understand me...and you seem to just want to have the last word on this issue for some reason.  "Firefox downloads button page that comes up in your browser is not your actual downloads folder".  I've realized this all along.  I already clearly posted that my Firefox downloads list points to c:\[username]\Downloads in the file system.  1) FF download list (a series of shortcuts), 2) directory in the file system.  Two different things.  I also never said that this issue is "widespread" although it very well could be; I only said that I'm obviously not the only person affected.  You're taking this all way too personally.

I've said thank you to you a number of times for your suggestions.  What more do you want?  VS clearly has this shortcoming and I'm pointing it out.  No suggestions in the world will change VS's shortcoming on this.

I already said that I contacted Tech Support who would not / could not help.  Ultimately, I solved the immediate issue myself by unwillingly deleting files from my harddrive which weren't installed and were no threat.  I should have to do that.  I'm not satisfied with how McAfee's Vulnerability Scanner treats non-installed files laying in the file system by thinking they need updated and installed--no one should expect that type of behavior from this or any similar products.

We can go round and round for days or you can just let this go and simply accept that VS is not perfect and drop it.  Again, hopefully someone at McAfee will review this and use it as an impulse to improve VS.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 37 of 42

Then my turn to apologise, sorry 😉

uTorrent isn't the first piece of software that doesn't uninstall cleanly, unfortunately.  There've been similar issues reported in these and other software forums for some time.

Nothing is perfect - never will be, but I do feel that this is more the fault of uTorrent rather than McAfee.

Anyway, good luck.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 38 of 42

out of date executable, offer to update it to the current version.

Everything seems to be working as designed.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 39 of 42

SafeBoot wrote:

out of date executable, offer to update it to the current version.

Everything seems to be working as designed.

Flawed design.  Addressed ad nauseum.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 40 of 42

Locking this thread as it is 'Assumed Answered' And is over a year old, plus has clearly lost it's substance.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community