Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 42

Re: BEWARE vulnerability scanner

I also should have added that MVS does not install updates automatically at default settings, but it could do so if the settings are altered as such.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 12 of 42

I realize you're just passing on info and best-practice from your perspective, but the answer is unsatisfying to PAYING customers of McAfee products.

Years ago, I had µTorrent on my machine, but I've deleted it.  There are no traces of it anymore.  I've gone over my entire registry and my entire hard drive.  The only reference on my machine to µTorrent must be inside some configuration file of McAfee, because it isn't anywhere else.  How is McAfee determining to "update" software on my machine that isn't even installed?

McAfee's message for a few years now:  "Even if you've paid good money for McAfee products, when they fail to operate as expected, just turn said functionality off."

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 42

Your last line is not true, I'm a long-time customer and know that for a fact.   However, people do have issues and these forums are often the place they come with them.   Your first post here was questioning an issue that was fixed long ago.  Vulnerability Scanner is merely a tool to help do the job a user should be doing anyway, checking that everything is up to date, it is merely a helper which looks for possible vulnerabilities due to outdated software, and does not force you to do anything.   It by no means endangers your machine in any way.   If yours is finding updates for utorrent then I respectfully suggest that you've missed some uTorrent registry key somewhere.

However, Technical Support would be the people to sort this out and they are free to phone or you can use their free online chat.  Link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 42

As I do have uTorrent installed I was curious why yours would be offering updates for something that was uninstalled (obviously not a clean uninstall either, not your fault), so I fired off an email to a contact I have at McAfee.  I don't promise a quick answer or any solution, but will post a response if I get one.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 42

ygtbsm wrote:

Years ago, I had µTorrent on my machine, but I've deleted it.

since MVM  is quite a recent addition to the consumer product, I assume by this you are telling us that you uninstalled uTorrent BEFORE you installed MVM?

I hope you can agree it makes it extremely unlikely you have uninstalled, as obviously MVM is not going to detect things that were not there when it was installed...

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 16 of 42

It's plausible that you came to that assumption, but it's not correct. 

Years ago, I had µTorrent on my machine. 

Then, also years ago, I installed MVS. 

Then, also years ago, I deleted µTorrent on my machine.

µTorrent does not appear in my install programs listing, nor is in referenced in my registry, with the sole exception of .torrent as a known file extension entry in my registry.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 17 of 42

I respectfully disagree that Vulnerability Scanner is "merely a tool to help do the job a user should be doing anyway".  Users shouldn't have to manually scour the registry in order to prevent VS from installing an update to a program which Windows itself says (by way of "Control Panel\Programs and Features) is not installed on that machine.

To satisfy myself that I've done all a user should have to, I just did the following:

I scoured my registry again.  The only presence of the term "torrent" appears as ".torrent" as a known file extension entry in my registry.

I ran MVS again.

It wants to "update" to Utorrent 3.0.0.26473

I'm about to contact Technical Support right now.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 42

The registry is not necessarily the complete list of software on your machine - using the registry is entirely optional. You should search your hard disk for utorrent.exe

re the time periods, afaik, MVM first appeared in our 2013 product for consumers, so you must be saying you uninstalled utorrent before then?

tthe bottom line is that utorrent is being detected, thus it must still be on your machine. I'd guess it's still in your temp or downloads folder.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 42

utorrent also writes the following keys, did you delete them?

HKCU\Software\Classes\btdna

HKCU\Software\Classes\FalconBetaAccount

HKCU\Software\BitTorrent

Found that by doing a Google Search for utorrent registry keys

Also check that no browser add-ons are associated with it, albeit disabled.  If so remove them.

Am still checking for others.

ygtbsm
Former Member
Message 20 of 42

Are you saying that a user isn't able to have a directory containing non-installed *.exe files without fearing that MVM will fully install replacements of said files onto the machine?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community