Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aarala
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

False expiring subscription alerts

Jump to solution

Hello, just needed to post on here about what McAfee has been showing me today. (I messed up the print screen sorry)

This morning after I turned on my Laptop I got an alert telling me my subscription was about to expire and an offer of a discount of 20% or so to renew. What's odd is my subscription is good for another 6 months. I got another alert a few hours later offering the same thing for even more of a discount, and a third a few hours after that telling me the subscription had expired and offering me a 50% discount.

I checked the forum and McAfee knowledge base for the issue but the stuff I saw said it actually cancelled the active subscription. So far my subscription is still fine but I will monitor it and see what happens.

The old subscription expired at the similar time as this current one started and there has been no other AVs or McAfee products on this laptop. MVT said everything was fine. The only two things I can think of that might cause the issue -

1 my subscription was bought from the US store and I am in Australia (my clock seems to running correctly for where I live).

2 earlier in the year I had this laptop running win 7 on the current subscription, but have since clean installed win10 and so now in my account I have 2 of this PC (the normal one and one classed as inactive). I have McAfee All Access so the number of licenses isn't an issue but there's no option to remove an old PC.

Unless it's just spam? I mean I personally wouldn't mind a discount when I need to renew but not 6 months into a year long subscription.

Like I said I'll see if it continues to happen or if it affects my subscription status but hopefully it won't show up again.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Octopus
Contributor III
Message 14 of 15

Re: False expiring subscription alerts

Jump to solution

Yeah. It was already installed when I bought my new computer 2 months ago. Anyway I just re downloaded it from the server and it automatically uninstalled the old one and installed the new one. Now it says my subscription ends in late April like it should..

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2n036l1.jpg

View solution in original post

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

Moved to "My Account Online".

Give Customer Service a call and they will check it all out for you.  If necessary they can connect you with Technical Support.  Link below.

There isn't much we can do here otherwise and no, that wasn't spam.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Contact Support

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

The other thing you could try if you have the time.

Uninstall all McAfee software via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Reboot if asked to.

Run the MCPR clean-up tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

The subscription reminders could result from remnants of older installations and this should clear those.

Sorry, I should have suggested this first.

aarala
Former Member
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

I don't think a previous install is the reason because as I mentioned I clean installed windows 10 on this laptop and installed from the online account then with this current subscription. The only change since then has been the 1511 win 10 update. In any case it shouldn't be saying my subscription is expiring because it is the same subscription.

Also I have since had 2 more messages pop up, one on the night of the post, just as I was about to connect with a McAfee technician actually. The other one I had just a few minutes ago this morning and it only stayed on screen for a few seconds. In both cases the alert said the subscription was about to expire again and not 'had' expired, with different levels of discounts in AUD despite the fact I bought this subscription from the US store. I have asked for an escalation in support, I will see what they say before the need to reinstall.subalert.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

OK, wait for their verdict if you wish, that's fine.

nikenth
Former Member
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

My suggestion would be to call the Support Center and check your McAfee account details. If you have an expired McAfee product in your account sometimes this can happen. So if you have any expired products in your account page, tell them to remove it from your account. We can not do it by logging into my account page.

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

I'm kinda having the same problem. It says that my account is going to expire

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2evch1k.jpg

But my account doesn't actually expire until late April. When I checked my account it says this

http://oi68.tinypic.com/ranm9e.jpg

So what gives?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

In your case it's the Dell product it's reading from so you'll have to uninstall, cleanup, reboot and reinstall from the Total Protection item as per my post #2

Octopus
Contributor III
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

Will going online without any McAfee running be safe?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

You can download the installer file for the software and the MCPR tool to cleanup after the old one in advance if you would prefer, but for that few moments, you are OK because Windows Firewall is protecting you anyway and as long as you have no other browser windows open.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community