cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avingm
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

"McAee 24/7 threat protection is ON" cant clear message

Just stays at the top of screen and cant clear it off, also now got a 1 on the icon that I cant get rid of either

9 Replies
muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 10

Re: "McAee 24/7 threat protection is ON" cant clear message

Hi, 

May I know the McAfee product which you have installed in your mobile phone? Also please update the device make &model. 

Dart
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

The top bar is always the first thing I check for notification, like new sms messages, emails, app updates.

With the Mcafee icon showing all the time its a bit confusing. At first look, I think I am suppose to check or do something. But no, the icon is only a display not serving any purpose.

Can you please let me know how to remove that stupid icon. It is really annoying.

I am using Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra.

Thanks.

muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 10

@Dart @avingm 

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this. Android 8.0 now shows a notification for any application running in the background.  McAfee must run in the background to protect your privacy and device in real-time. We recommend leaving this notification active in device settings.  For more details, you can always contact us at McAfee Support. We appreciate your understanding 

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

DTS
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I have the same problem with McAfee LiveSafe running Android 8 on Samsung Galaxy S8.  I understand the running in background issue and is able to get rid of the icon on the notification bar (but not the pull down notification details) by adjusting the notification setting.  However, the "1" still shows in the corner of the app icon on the home page as if there's an issue. Any suggestion on how to clear the "1".  Thanks!

muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 6 of 10

@DTS 

Hi Dave, 

Enabling McAfee is considered as important notification from the application. However you have disabled it in notification bar, this notification is available under mcAfee application notification list. and that's why we see it as "1" remaining notification. we will take this as feedback &passs on to our developing team. 

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Waynepdl76
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Mcafee has always run in the background. It's only now it seems to think Its ok to take a privileged place on our screens permanently. I don't want it there. Simple. Other apps run in the background but haven't put a permanent banner in my drop down screen. If this can't be fixed I'll purchase an alternative product when my license expires in roughly 30days.

muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 10

Hello @Waynepdl76 

In the recent update from Google(Android) if any app that runs for 24/7 that should be intimated to the user of the device. There are some apps which may run in the background but may get terminated at any time based on the usage of RAM but where McAfee will not get quit. 

Stll there is a option to disable McAfee by following the below steps, but which may leads your mobile phone to put in risk, where you have to do manual scan to check the status of your device protection. 

Long press the notification bar>Turn on toggle switch(All categories)> Done

Truepete
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Caveat: I am no expert on this particular app (but I do have a technical background). The resolution that follows is only my own experience on my Samsung S9.

I resolved this issue by going to the Settings app, selecting Notifications, selecting Security & Privacy, then turning off McAfee 24/7 threat protection.  I couldn't find any documentation on what this does but I gave it a shot.  Afterwards, all the security still seems to be working and the problem notification message no longer appears.

Unrelated directly to this issue but also of use are some other settings I've changed to reduce unwanted notifications (first open the Security & Privacy app, open the drop down menu and select Settings):

(1) Select Security scan, scroll to the bottom and turn off "Notify me: when no threats are found after app scan."

(2) Select Web Security and turn off "Web alerts: Tell me I'm protected when I'm online."
alexwatsonisme
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I had the same issue. It is stuck at the top of the screen. Here's what you need to do. Go to the settings app on your device > Apps > McsFee app > notifications > other notification > toggle it off. If that doesn't work, Long press the notification bar >Turn on toggle switch (For All categories) > Done. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community