Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blendi123
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Wi-Fi Under Attack (False Flag)

Jump to solution

Yesterday, I updated the McAfee app on my phone (Galaxy S7 Edge) and everything was working fine until I got home. As my phone is connecting to Wi-Fi, I am greeted by this message " Wi-Fi under attack 2.4 Hacker intercepting traffic - KARMA"

Screenshot_20171012-181414.png

I turned off my Wi-FI and spoke with a McAfee customer representative. I asked if this was a false flag since I had just updated the app, but they stated that something similar happened a few months earlier and that glitch was fixed. He asked me to do basic troubleshooting, but that did not solve anything.

I started to do a bit of research and came across different forums that suggested I change my router admin password along with the Wi-FI password. I restarted the phone after the changes, but still had the same problem. I decided to change the SSID on my router to remove the possibility of a MITM attack. I connected, but still no luck.

At this point I was confident that it was a false flag, but was wondering what was causing it. I connected to a Hotspot through another phone and the message dissapeared. That Wi-Fi connection was secure (at least according to the app).

I was almost out of ideas, until I remembered that my SSID's are hidden and that they have to be manually entered in. I log back in to the router GUI and change the SSID's to visible.

WOOALA! My Wi-Fi was suddenly showing as secure.

Screenshot_20171012-192237.png

Maybe this issue only affects the Galaxy S7 Edge, I'm not sure, but if you do come across this message, don't panic. It could be just a false flag.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Re: Wi-Fi Under Attack (False Flag)

Jump to solution

Hi @blendi123 ,

I am glad to know that you have fixed by changing the SSID visibility, the SSID is one possible way that a router could be compromised, I suggest to verify the document TS102687 which has more clear information how McAfee detects a Wifi attacks. 

Regards

Gokulakrishnan K

McAfee Support Team

View solution in original post

6 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Discussion successfully moved from General Discussion to Mobile Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
techcat
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

I’ve just had the red screen message (WiFi under attack) - similar old chestnut of few months ago!

Android 7.0

Don’t know if an error or more intervention on my part?

my SSID is hidden

blendi123
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Did you recently update the app?

Try making your SSID visible and see if that gets rid of the message.

techcat
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

App auto-updated today (4 hours ago) when it was on charge AND the message appeared when I unplugged it.

I tapped STAY CONNECTED and haven't seen the message since.

If I do, I'll try broadcasting SSID, thanks

techcat
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Is this linked to KRACK?

Always seems to be a coincidence with Phone warning and some wider security issues.

Though phone has been behaving itself since.

Funnily Android 4.2.2 phone never had any warning after mcAfee update! (think affects newer Android software)

Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @blendi123 ,

I am glad to know that you have fixed by changing the SSID visibility, the SSID is one possible way that a router could be compromised, I suggest to verify the document TS102687 which has more clear information how McAfee detects a Wifi attacks. 

Regards

Gokulakrishnan K

McAfee Support Team

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community