cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
popchau
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Should I delete McAfee LiveSafe that came pre-installed ?

I recently bought an Acer laptop (I know it's not a pc, but I don't believe it's that relevant), and It came with McAfee LiveSafe pre-installed because of some sort of partnership between them, along with other Acer software. Now, i've never been much of a fan of "Antivirus" software because they have always caused my PCs to slow down. I thought i'd make an exception since it was already there, so I was actually thinking of buying a lifetime subscription because there was an insane discount on McAfee for new Acer laptops. As expected, McAfee started messing up with my files on the first week. It already botched up the wifi driver, messing with the ports, and then kept deleting the exe file of a game I installed on steam. I thought it was because I haven't updated the laptop since I bought it, which might or might not have fixed the wifi problem. I'm still reluctant on keeping it, but I bought this laptop for college, which means I'm going to be going on a lot of websites and downloading a lot of files.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Reply
Felix_I
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 2

Re: Should I delete McAfee LiveSafe that came pre-installed ?

Hi @popchau,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by McAfee according to your statement. My understanding about your concern with McAfee which you stated that McAfee started messing up with your files on the first week which also botched up the WIFI driver, messing with the ports, and then kept deleting the exe file of a game you installed on steam.

If you haven’t updated your Laptop, you need to update your Laptop to get the latest Windows Update on your computer which will help in updating most of the drivers and software on your computer to provide better performance. As you have stated that you bought the Laptop for College which you will be accessing lots of websites, McAfee will provide full protection to websites you access on your Laptop, so you don’t get infected by adware and malware online and even scan files you download before getting installed on your Laptop.

I advise you get a Premium Antivirus Protection for your Laptop to prevent any future infection on your Laptop.

Thanks,
Felix.

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community