cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZChlo
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

2 threats/virus infections that cannot be removed Artemis!sd32432445cb6 JavaTcmdHelper

Jump to solution

I posted this in another area of the forum, but perhaps ii should have put it here, I don't know...

Hi,

My mum is receiving notifications on her Moto G 5 phone of 2 medium threats. Which we are unable to solve. One which suggests to "ignore" after listing very bad things that this virus can do.

1. File /system/vendor/app/com.motorola.android.jvtcmd/com.motorola.android.jvtcmd.apk

Infected by Artemis!sd32432445cb6 (suspicious)

Type: non-removable file

Created 1 Jan 2009

About this threat: "your file contains Artemis!sd32432445cb6, which is suspicious. It can: incur premium charges, damage or encrypt files for ransom, monitor your device and observe your activities, take advantage of vulnerabilities to access and use your data, send junk messages or emails from your device , direct you to a fake website to get your account information, result in excessive battery/bandwidth drainage."

" we don't have permission to remove this read-only malicious file. You can ignore it and not open it so that it no longer appears as a threat".

2. JavaTcmdHelper "this pre-installed app contains a virus"

Version 8.1.0

Type: non-removable system app

Package name: com.motorola.android.jvtcmd

Detection name: Artemis!sd32432445cb6

About this threat: - same risks as listed in threat 1.

"Android doesn't let you block certain types of risk,but you can disable the app to avoid any security issues"

Pressed "disable" at bottom of page, takes to app info page where " disable " button is greyed out and not able to be pressed, "force stop" option available, so did that, but not able to disable the app.

So the phone has viruses? But nothing Can be done? Can anyone tell us what we should do and how worried we should be? Because we are very worried, and not tech experts at all. Does mum need to change passwords for everything used from her phone - email, facebook etc.? Does she have to do that on another device, or could another device used to log in to email etc. be infected if this virus has entered email etc? How to solve issue to remove threats from phone?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 24 of 26

Re: 2 threats/virus infections that cannot be removed Artemis!sd32432445cb6 JavaTcmdHelper

Jump to solution

Hello John,

We have whitelisted the application in our virus definition. Please update the virus definition manually by following the below steps:

• Open McAfee
  • Click on 3 dots at the top right corner
  • Select the option “Scan Info”
  • Select “Update Virus definition”
  • post update – Please Initiate a deep scan from the 3 dots at the top right corner.

If the threat still appears, please remove McAfee and reinstall the application and scan your device completely post activating your subscription.

Please follow the link below to Uninstall the McAfee application :

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101407

Please follow the link below to install the McAfee :

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS100342

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

25 Replies
John46
Contributor III
Message 2 of 26

Re: 2 threats/virus infections that cannot be removed Artemis!sd32432445cb6 JavaTcmdHelper

Jump to solution

Yes, exactly the same on a Moto G5 running android 8.1

Artemis!sd32432445cb6

pathname 

:/system/vendor/app/com.motorola.android.jvtcmd/com.motorola.android.jvtcmd.apk

Seems the same, although no option to disable given either. 

Keith1100
Contributor II
Message 3 of 26

Jump to solution

I have the same issue it just says ignore it and I've now picked up another threat though could force stop . Looks like Moto g5 issue since last Android update.  Mcaffee just seem to be saying it's powerless ... May have to factory reset but pain in the bum if we do . 

Keith1100
Keith1100
Contributor II
Message 4 of 26

Jump to solution

I have the same issue it just says ignore it and I've now picked up another threat though could force stop . Looks like Moto g5 issue since last Android update.  Mcaffee just seem to be saying it's powerless ... May have to factory reset but pain in the bum if we do . 

Keith1100
Tags (1)
Keith1100
Contributor II
Message 5 of 26

Jump to solution

I've contacted Motorola and they advise is just part of the operating system and that if mcaffeeupdate virus definitions on McAfee so it is up to date it'll be okay

Keith1100
Keith1100
Contributor II
Message 6 of 26

Jump to solution

Having said that everytime I try to contact mcaffee it locks me out .....aggghh

Keith1100
John46
Contributor III
Message 7 of 26

Jump to solution

Keith1100,

Thanks for contacting Moto, I have reported the problem to McAfee, copied a link to this thread and they will look into it.  I have also copied some screen prints from my phone to them as well, so hopefully they can confirm witht he folks at Moto and get it resolved.

Smiley Happy

ZChlo
Contributor
Message 8 of 26

Jump to solution

Thank you Keith1100 and John46 for doing that, and for bringing back the information.

So Moto say it's a false alert and McAfee has to update their virus definitions database to remove this, not us on the app? Ahh now I understand - I read something in another thread and wrongly tried to update definitions myself on the app to try to solve it, with no luck. Understandable now. Well, no-one from McAfee seems to be around these forums at the moment, nor to have come back to update other threads with very similar issues. Thanks John46 for contacting them, was that via live webchat or do you know an email address to correspond with? I tried to contact them via the live webchat but it wouldn't work for me, so I came here.

Another one in our club:

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Mobile-Products/Javatcmdhelper-alert-on-Moto-g5-false-or-not/td-p/61...

And others in the other language forums.

Thank you both again! Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

John46
Contributor III
Message 9 of 26

Jump to solution

Yes, I logged the issue via their live chat service which worked okay for me, and sent them the screen shots as well at their request.

They will investigate and verify, then hopefully will post here to confirm.  I provided the link to this thread so they could take a look and / or post it.  As long as they can verify it isnt a threat I assume they will just update their parameters and next time they scan after the update, the alert will just disappear, fingers crossed anyway.

If I hear anything back before they post,  I will update here. 

Keith1100
Contributor II
Message 10 of 26

Jump to solution

Glad to hear the webchat worked for you and they're looking at. I've also called mcaffee and they're aiming to call me tomorrow evening.  Hopefully we'll all get an answer soon.  I'm not surprised other forums have also the issue . 

Keith1100
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community