cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mox
Contributor III
Message 1 of 4

Triada banking malware

I have read a news that security researchers at Dr.Web have discovered over 40 models of low-cost Android smartphones are shipped with the dreaded Android Triada banking malware, among them is HomTom HT16 which I own.

I have regularly scanned with McAfee but it newer showed me  Android.Triada.231 malware, though it did report couple of malware every week because firmware self-installed apps.

I have erased firmware ROM and installed custom ROM, but I was wondering is McAfee supposed to detect this particular malware?

3 Replies
muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: Triada banking malware

@mox 

Hi Mox Betex, 

Can you please update McAfee virus definition and check if you still see the file as threat? then please let us know the make &model of the device & the OS version.

mox
Contributor III
Message 3 of 4

I have replaced original firmware with custom firmware, so I can't check anymore.

OS is Android 6.

When I had original firmware McAfee reported some malware, I have posted in https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Mobile-Products/WirelessUpdate-Artemis-notification/m-p/524878#47418...

but I never saw that McAfee reported Triada.231 malware.

This particular malware is embedded in original firmware, and as I have read on web, there is no way to remove it, so I replaced it with StarOS firmware. Now I don't have any malware on phone, at least McAfee doesn't report any.

muthu_ganesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 4

Hello @mox

I'm checking with the engineering team to know more about this file. I' ll post back as soon as i have the information.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community