cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greatjake
Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: New threat detected: RilConfigService.apk | Non-removeable file - Artemis!sde07f8210bcd

I have the exact same error displayed on my phone. Not sure what to do with it

Shooters00
Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Re: New threat detected: RilConfigService.apk | Non-removeable file - Artemis!sde07f8210bcd

Spoiler
Also, I updated my playstore apps yesterday and noticed a few google items in the mix (sim manager, device personalization services).  How about others receiving the message?
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 13 of 31

I am wondering if this is coming from one of your apps. There are quite a few apps that send data to foreign nations. Both benevolent, and malevolent.  I probably don't need to remind you that apps, once installed, are capable of a variety of nefarious operations, including, activating your microphone, tracking your location, and even eavesdropping on your conversations.

This would also explain why wiping the phone has no effect. The apps and extensions will simply re-install during your restore. Has anyone tried removing all the apps and extensions to see if this resolves the issue, or at least to try to see which app is creating it?

Android phones are much more vulnerable to this type of activity than IOS.

ashwinkul
Contributor II
Message 14 of 31

I contacted support, they said might false flag and have said will get back by tommorrow. Hope so they do 

xian06
Contributor II
Message 15 of 31

Yeah, I am assuming the same. False-positive .. especially since its only affecting Google pixel phones.

KrithikaS
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 16 of 31

@Babagucci 

We would recommend you to update virus definition in McAfee application on your device one more time.

In order to update virus definition follow the below steps:

1.Open McAfee application and tap on the three lines [hamburger symbol] at the top right corner.

2.Tap scan info.

3. you will see update virus definition option, kindly update it.

4. Restart the mobile device.

Once you update the virus definition, restart the device and run a scan in McAfee. The threat will be removed. 

Let me know if the issue is getting fixed or if the issue still persist.

xian06
Contributor II
Message 17 of 31

unless McAfee just updated the definitions in the last 5 minutes .. I already updated my definitions about 10 mins ago and still showing as Artemis

KrithikaS
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 18 of 31

@xian06

I am sorry that you are facing the same issue again. I would recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the McAfee application.

Once the application is reinstalled run a scan and check for the threat.

Let me know if the issue still persist.

Regards,

Krithika S

Babagucci
Contributor II
Message 19 of 31

So after following your steps I got stuck on step 3 because after I update the definitions and restart my device I then open the app but I can't complete a new scan because it wants me to fix the the threat. 

So essentially I would have to ignore the threat in order to start a new scan

Jimjammajay
Contributor
Message 20 of 31

Same here, I even uninstalled the McAfee app and reinstalled it but the virus is still there and cannot be removed because it's read-only.  Sounds like this problem is just coming out and is just a matter of time before it infects ALL Pixel 3's.

Any other ideas on how to remove this?  I'd hate to do a full factory reset but no way will I let something like this sit ignored on my device

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community