cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jkhmcf
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Safe Connect will not connect on unsecure/untrusted networks.

When I’m away from home using the free wifi networks (i.e restaurants, stores, etc) McAfee Safe  Connect is unable to connect to the McAfee servers, it times out. I can browse the web so I wouldn’t think it was a network issue. When I’m home using my wifi it connects just fine. This is relatively recent I believe. I don’t always try to use the free networks, so I’m not sure exactly when it began but it did work a few months ago. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Platform; Ipad, IOS and App are the most recent versions. 

2 Replies
Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Safe Connect will not connect on unsecure/untrusted networks.

Hi @Jkhmcf , 

McAfee Safe connect should work on Unsecure/Untrusted network. However if you have McAfee mobile security installed in your device. You might get a popup notification from McAfee mobile security to disconnect and block the Unsecured/Untrusted network, which eventually block the network in your device. To enable a blocked network in your Phone or iPad. Please follow the below procedure.

• Open McAfee Mobile Security 
  • Click on 3 dots at the top right corner
  • Select the option Wifi Security 
  • Select the list of blocked network and delete
  • Try again connecting to a Unsecured/Untrusted network

Please fell free to reply, if you have any concern.

Was my reply helpful? If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Sonnyplease
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee Safe Connect will not connect on unsecure/untrusted networks.that get

ABB5C912-A4AE-4C2B-AADF-C5CD06DCB1BC.jpegSonnyplease

Yes, I experienced this in a famous "S" named coffee shop today. Each morning, I go to my neighborhood cafe which has free wi-fi. Everyone knows each other or at least recognizes each other and never experienced this "unsecured/untrusted network, disconnect," at my place. Every morning, the population is the same. In "S" coffee today, I received what you experienced. This was my first time trying a public hotspot. Who knows, there may have been someone in the place with a  software monitoring device watching everyone's online activity to obtain passwords to important accounts or give one malware. I understand these guys get paid a certain amount of $$ for each successful catch. They are part of a chain of identity thieves that get a piece of your information for the final piece of the puzzle or catch. I read this in Dark Reading.  Certainly, my last time. I think it is good that Mcafee picked up some type of activity real quick, giving me a good feeling about Safe Connect. I have the latest IOS iPhone.  

This is a good newsletter that has articles on all these cyber type of crimes, updates and more. It is good for Windows, Mac, IOS, Android and more. You can email them and subscribe. It was recommended by the CVE naming organization. If you enjoy this type of reading, it has important information. Check it out if you want. 

darkreading@nw.nwsltechwebresources.com

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community