cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eeyoresan
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

HIgh CPU usage and battery drain on Android 9 after update to McAfee Security 5.3.0.484

Jump to solution

After upgrading my McAfee Security to version 5.3.0.484 the battery drains twice as fast as normal. When checking battery information McAfee Security is all time high 30% usage or more, twice the amount of the second software "Pokémon GO" know for it's battery usage.

This has rendered my phone useless since it has gone from lasting 2 days to much less then 1 day. The device from time to time gets really hot and I have a concern for the battery health due to heat.

I'm considering uninstalling this software if no fixes are released.

Phone in use: Samsung Galaxy A8, Android Version: 9

I have attached 2 image:

1) Showing high battery usage and constant activity, no sleep

2) Strange CPU usage warning from Samsung Device Care, due to extrem CPU usage

High battery usageHigh battery usageHigh CPU usageHigh CPU usage

BR

/Per

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: HIgh CPU usage and battery drain on Android 9 after update to McAfee Security 5.3.0.484

Jump to solution

Hi @eeyoresan , 

As your Samsung phone is running with Android OS, which is vulnerable to virus and malware and hackers. It need protection 24/7 from a security point of view. Hence McAfee as a efficient security program run's 24/7 in your device to do background scan and protect and secure your data and device from threats and Malware.

However I understand your concern on battery life. I will have this checked with my development team. Meantime, i would prefer to do a clean re-installation of McAfee security program and observe the battery life and please keep us posted. 

Regards

Gokulakrishnan K

McAfee Support Team

View solution in original post

masterveecee
Contributor II
Message 12 of 12

Re: HIgh CPU usage and battery drain on Android 9 after update to McAfee Security 5.3.0.484

Jump to solution

Fyi: I also reinstalled McAfee livesafe app a few days ago and the issue with my battery seems to be fixed. 

Was able to activate my account so no problem there for me

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @eeyoresan , 

As your Samsung phone is running with Android OS, which is vulnerable to virus and malware and hackers. It need protection 24/7 from a security point of view. Hence McAfee as a efficient security program run's 24/7 in your device to do background scan and protect and secure your data and device from threats and Malware.

However I understand your concern on battery life. I will have this checked with my development team. Meantime, i would prefer to do a clean re-installation of McAfee security program and observe the battery life and please keep us posted. 

Regards

Gokulakrishnan K

McAfee Support Team

eeyoresan
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

I will try to perform a re-install of the app in my phone:

1. Uninstall app
  2. Install app

Do I need to re-activate my license for this device or is it handled automatically

Will report back tomorrow if there is any change in behavior

BR

/Per

eeyoresan
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Re installed application but i can not send new activation link

I constantly get an error message:

Error_processing_mcafee.png

I found my old installation link and used the activation code from that one, but now I got a trial license even thou i can see my device  listened under my protected devices under home.mcafee.com

This community site does not work for me when using chrome I only get Bad Request.

Isn't any of your services working properly at the moment?

BR

/Per

masterveecee
Contributor II
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

I have this too since the update of previeus week. My battery is dead after 7 hours instead of 32. McAfee was at 43% of battery usage. This morning I removed it from my Samsung A5 and I already see the differences. Had McAfee already for 1 year without issues... 

eeyoresan
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

I guess this has something to do with the latest version release 30/8 this year the day after I upgraded the issues started.

I have tried to reinstall the app but it seem like I have ended up in limbo, since the license workflow does not work for me at the moment, see post above.

I can only access this forum using MS Edge, if I try chrome I get bad request so something is messed up at McAfee at the moment, hope to see a fix soon.

/Per

Gokulakrishnan
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @eeyoresan ,

I understand that you have activated a Trial version instead of paid subscription. I have sent you a private message, please reply back with the information requested. So i could help you activating your paid subscription. 

Regards

Gokulakrishnan K

masterveecee
Contributor II
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

@eeyoresan 

Let me know if your battery is draining slower with the re install . Then I will do the re installation also on my device

masterveecee
Contributor II
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

For your information: my battery lasts now already 3x longer than before I remove McAfee

eeyoresan
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi,

It seem like battery drain is far less after reinstall, yesterday I had approx. 60% battery left in the evening which is more normal for my phone.

However I have not managed to get the correct license after activation. I have tried to send a new activation code but it fails. I received an Activation code from McAfee support Team but my McAfee app. still say license type: TRIAL. 

Due to this fact I cannot make a 100% sure conclusion that reinstall solved my issue, don't know if all parts are active in the app. Must have more information about the license issue.

BR
/Per

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community