cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peterkin
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

"Installation In Progress" malware

I'm having problems with a malware infection on my Mac.  Sometimes it will refuse to shut down, and it will show a dialog called "Installation In Progress".  It is installing software I don't recognize, including "Stateful Firewall", a known nasty adware program.  The few posts I have seen on this seem to mistake StateFul Firewall for the actual malware.

I know this is not the real installer.  The Mac installer has the same icon and dialog box, but it is called "Installer", not "Installation In Progress".

Anyone heard of this?  I've worked with a couple of McAfee agents but it seems to be something obscure.

17 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 18

Re: "Installation In Progress" malware

Hi @Peterkin 

We have sent you private message. Please respond to proceed further.

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

Shaun101
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I have exactly the same issue. It appears to be in a McAfee folder too.

joemilyhunter
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

I Had this months ago, the 'install in progress' stopped my being able to shut down my mac unless i forced quit with the power button.

Very very annoying.

After months of struggle and having my mac constantly switched on. I found a thread online where others had had a similar problem. I had to download another app, that allows deep search, and remove all system items with McAfee name in it. It solved the problem for a few months. 

Then i seem to have paid out another years subscription to McAfee, so i tried the promoted update again. Ever since then the bug is back.

I cant say how annoying it is that to have all my time taken up with this yet again!

Instead of trying to find that thread and go the the same process as last time, im looking for a quicker fix here, or i want my money back. why am i paying for something i keep having to force remove?

I cant believe a company who should be protecting your Mac is the creating the only problem ive ever had with it.

Its also definetley not an 'obscure' problem as there was a whole thread about fixing it online.  Also they have much on their own website about fixing the same issue on Windows.

MattAnutta
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I am also having this issue and want to eliminate ASAP

AlfredoP
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

So, this has no solution.

I am having this problem for months too.

As a friend of mine told me: "You have McAfee on your Mac! That is a virus by itself!!!!"

This software does not work with Mac any longer.   

AlfredoP
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Update: I contacted support today and the level 1 technician identified this as a known issue for McAfee on Mac.

A few minutes later, I was contacted by a level 2 technician who took remote control of my computer and resolved the issue.

So, if you are experiencing this problem, contact McAfee support and they will take care of you. They were fast and efficient.

... Now, whether this is the antivirus we want for our Macs, ... that is a topic for a different discussion.

Be safe!

Tintin2810
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

I need help with this issue too. Please assist.

Kristin 

Tintin2810
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

How do I contact them directly 

ElaineF
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Please make your McAfee reply public on this forum. I am experiencing the same thing and very disappointed at the McAfee software. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community