cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

can't log into hotmail after installing mcafee access on mac.!!

Hi Guys

i don't know if this has been raised before i can't find any links but basically i have installed mcafee access on a windows laptop and an imac.

after installing i was unable to enter my hotmail account.

i tried resetting password etc and nothing helped.

i called hotmail to see what was happening and was told it was due to installing mcafee on my mac.!!

he explained to me that mcafee will stop virus but not hackers and that my email address was flagged up as having unauthorised usage from hackers and without alarming me said that i had 6 credit or debit cards linked to my email address.???

i said no this wasn't the case.. anyway after about a half hour discussion (which i 'm really upset about as was on my mobile to an 0800 no which he insisted was free but i said no as calling from mobile!!) he said that there was obviously hackers getting access to my computer and by installing mcafee this had enabled then to get into it???!?!?

im very fed up confused and annoyed as i've spend 3 hours on this now.... i used the mcafee online support but to no avail.... what they kept telling me to go into was for pc not mac.. and then about 2o mins into that conversation decided i needed to speak to mac helpline.!!! looked that up and that no open till tomorrow.!!!!

am really really annoyed and fed up with this

anyway after a lot of messing about i finally managed to get into hotmail.. don't know if it sure luck or if the person i had spoke to did something... but he kept saying i needed to delete mcafee off the mac and he would insatall somthing else his end???! all sounds bit suspicous to me.

anyway have run full check on my window laptop and that come back on but the mac one so slow and apparently at the moment has found 20  threats?? the guy from hotmail has completely choked me off as said i shouldn't be doing any online banking or anything .?!?!?

so confused please help..!!!!!

8 Replies
cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: can't log into hotmail after installing mcafee access on mac.!!

oh and also the website safe system doesn't work on when using say google to find something.. i thought its meant to show green tick if site safe etc but nothing is on mine at all.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 9

Sorry what is not working windows or mac or both?

You install Mcafee for Mac correct on the Mac sorry if that sounds dumb but I do not know Macs.

I will flag this for Mcafee tech suppot to answer BUT someone who knows MAC

Re your windows pC run some of these to se if it is clean

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware, Malware & Hijacker Tools

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/07/12 8:03:17 PM
cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

Hi I installed Mcafee Access on a windows laptop and an imac.

once i had installed it on the mac and i went to hotmail to access my account i coudn't get into it.. i kept putting in what i knew was the correct password and then i even changed it and still no access to hotmail.

in the end i called up hotmail tech line and they bombarded me saying that i had suspicious activity on my hotmail account, did i do online banking.. there was a number of credit / debit cards registred to my account etc etc etc it went on..!! even tho he said at the start of conversation i don't wish to scare you but.!!! 

he went on about the number of macs infected blah blah blah.. anyway he was adament it was because i had installed mcafee on my mac?!?! he said that due to putting this on the mac this had enabled hackers who had tried to get into the system who had failed, to now be able to access it???? so my account was stopped ????  i told him it didn't make sense and he said well it because mcafee stops viruses and not hackers?!?! but i thought mcafee stopped trojans???  anyway my mac has obviously been stopping them perfectly fine without mcafee but as i had it i thought might as well stick it on the mac as well as the windows laptop.

sorry to sound dumb myself this time.. but what on earth is he going on about... he told me he needed to sort it out and i had to click on something which was something called team viewer and he would fix it ... i didn't like the sound of him taking over my computer and told him where to go basically.!!!! i have to say i was rather stressed at this point and couldn't really think straight as why on earth this was anything to do with putting mcafee on a 4 year old mac that has worked perfectly up till the second i put on mcafeee.!!!!!!!

also i think i have deleted this team viewer thing off my computer but this makes me feel uneasy too.

i tried getting help from mcafee helpline but to be fair to no avail and in the end said they couln't help and i need to speak to mac dept,.. well thats great as at the time it was midnight and no mac helpline until the next morning.

Anyway strangely enough after a few more attempts at getting into hotmail i suddenly without changing anything on mcafee got back into hotmail??? i am somewhat annoyed as if it is down to mcafee i had work to do last night off of my hotmail account that i failed to get done by the midnight deadline.!!!!!! so i'm no amused.

any ideas gladly received.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 9

Understand your angst We see not much mac issues here and we mods are windows only. I assume the hotmail contact was legit just strange they can see the credit cards linked to hotmail. Here in australia my cards are not in any way linked to any email address nor do they have the option.

I have asked several Mcafee techs to find someone to discuss this with you sorry all this aussie can do.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

Please let me know the exact error you are getting when you use the Hotmail Account, it would be great if you attach a screen shot of the error or message you are getting when you use hotmail account.

cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 7 of 9

Hi really sorry to sound like getting fed up like i am... but there is NO error message if you guys read the post properly you will see i wrote that i was unable to log into hotmail... due to it keep saying incorrect password.!!!! i have written that i tried changing the password and this did not help.. If you read the post further you would see that i put after about 3 hours i was suddenly able to log into hotmail... (after speaking to them but refusing to let them put some security they wanted to on my computer) so i can't post an error message as there isn't one..

what i'm trying to ask and everyone seems to be missing the point is..

has mcafee caused this problem of hotmail being logged out.. (hotmail themselves said they did this due to mcafee being installed)

and is my computer safe or not????

and i would like some form of explanation or apology from mcafee due to the stress this caused, i was unable to enter data for work and missed the midnight cut off point as i couldn't access hotmail and also it took me from 8pm to 2am in the morning to get this sorted.

so please stop posting back with can i give you this that and the other when i 've written it all down already.!!!

cheekymonkey
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

thanks aussie tony for your help and asking around for me.

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 9

Actually karthiks above was i assume pointed  here after I asked .  Give him another go please he is a mcafee tech.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community