cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bennyboy78983
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Unable to delete quarantined items on mac

I am unable to delete quarantined items on mac. Every time i select the files on the mcafee dashboard and press delete, nothing happens. Is there a fix for this?   

7 Replies
Smita_Kumari
Message 2 of 8

Re: Unable to delete quarantined items on mac

Hi @Bennyboy78983 ,

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. we request you to get in touch with our consumer support team on 866-622-3911 (US & Canada) or by accessing the below link.

McAfee consumer support

Regards,

Smita

nk81657
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I can't get through to support via telephone.  Is there a solution that can be posted here?

theinvenntor
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I have contacted technical support and they say someone from Tier 3 support will need to assist me. I asked if they had terminal command to address the issue. They indicated several reports from Mac uses with issue and that Tier 3 support had special tools to fix this issue. If this issue is so common, why can't McAfee just make these tools to address the issue? I have genius Apple level knowledge and am frustrated that I can not fix this issue because of this?

nk81657
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

When they call you back will you please post the solution?  I haven’t been able to get to anyone. I’m concerned about these viruses 🦠 that I can’t delete. 

theinvenntor
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I  had coordinated with McAfee to call me as a specific time. They did not do so. I called the support number and could not reach anyone.

I sent the following to McAfee and urge other customer do the same as I have done here.

I was not called at the specified time and no one call nor was any contact attempted by you support team by email.

I must assume that all McAfee Tier 3 tech support personnel are based outside the United States and/or only work standard 9 to 5 jobs in the time zone in which they live

I strongly advise that McAfee change this policy since most of its customers are in the United States and do not want to have to coordinate with McAfee Tier 3 tech when they would normally be sleeping.

If a tech cannot call me at a time that works for me, I will switch to another vendors anti-virus product. From what I have seen within the McAfee forums, it is obvious there a very low level of support for you product. In particular for this issue. You support portal is practically useless and very poorly designed for an average user to use.

Your support is so bad, I firmly believe that your business license within the United States should be revoked.

I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding my issue and also post to as many social media websites like FaceBook, Twitter etc. about my bad experience with your company’s level of support.

I also request that my auto renewal of your product be tuned off. I will plan on going to a different company’s product when my current subscription with McAfee has ended.

noisy
Contributor II
Message 7 of 8

I had this problem, here is the fix:

Stop all processes in the activity console related to McAfee. (the safarihost one will likely instantly restart and open up Safari, you can ignore that)

Show hidden files: hold 4 keys "CMD Shift + ." in a finder window.

Navigate to user to USR/Local/Quarantine. Should be translucent as a hidden folder.

Change permission for the folder, right click, get info,  under 'everyone' to 'read and write' (unlock, password etc)

Open the quarantine folder and delete the contents. Should be just 2 files.

Change back permissions for the folder to no access for everyone.

Restart McAfee, quarantine warning should be gone.

Turn off show hidden files with the key command above in a finder window.

Why they can't just publish this info, I'll never know.

realanncampbell
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Huzzah, Noisy! You're a champ!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community