Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trala
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Possible Lost password??

Jump to solution

Hi

I have a Sony viao SVE 1512C5E laptop with Win 8 I bought myself for christmas and during my excitemant at starting it up I seem to have forgotten that i had to create or enter a password into the McAfee 30day trail and now I can't make any changes to this software or even uninstall it, so I have tried every variation of a passwoord and checked all my email accounts but I have no sucess in finding a registration confirmation email. Is it possible that I never entered a password and that it ran from the admin account I created in Win8 (it doesn't work either). How can I fix this so I can at least make some changes to it? Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
southofdetroit2
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Re: Possible Lost password??

Jump to solution

Hilarious!  I just tried another password combination (one I don't typically use for work-related things) and was successful!  Sorry for the inconvenience...  Screen shot 2013-04-04 at 3.43.51 PM.png

View solution in original post

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

The password is probably the same one your Windows system administrator account has?

You can contact Technical Support if that doesn't help.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

trala,

If you would like to reset the McAfee password, follow the instructions given in the below link and reset the password

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=CS40088

If you want to remove the McAfee use the below McAfee removal tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

trala
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply guys but the problem is I have no access to the parental control or any part of the McAfee suite (it asks for a password and username I don't have these) so I can't change anything or even uninstall as the software attached to the link you provided stiil requires a username and password in order to uninstall. and as I said I don't have them and the windows login/admin details don't work either.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Trala,

What is the operating system bit ? is it 32 bit or 64 bit

I have a possible workaround to fix this issue but to confirm I need a screen shot of the uninstall screen which asking you to enter the user name & password. So please post the screen shot with the above details I have asked so that I can help you out on this issue

southofdetroit2
Former Member
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as trala.  My OS is 64 bit (Mac OS X).  I'm unable to attach a screen shot to this post for reasons unknown (it won't accept .tiff files maybe?; however, the Uninstaller is simply asking for my password, which I've tried for 2 years to recall and have used every combination of passwords I've used over the past 15 years (I didn't bother trying the ones I've been using since 1981, when my first bank password was created, but can assure you I'm all passworded out).  If you have a workaround, karthiks, it would be much appreciated.

karthiks
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

southofdetroit2012,

The workaround that I have is only for windows computers, I am not sure about the MAC OS X until I get the screen shot to identify the issue. So kindly perform the below operation in your keyboard and attach the screen shot of the error

Press Command (apple)+ Shift + 4

The image will be saved on your desktop

Attach the screenshot from the desktop

southofdetroit2
Former Member
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks, karthiks.  Here's the screenshot.Screen shot 2013-04-04 at 3.15.42 PM.png

southofdetroit2
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Hilarious!  I just tried another password combination (one I don't typically use for work-related things) and was successful!  Sorry for the inconvenience...  Screen shot 2013-04-04 at 3.43.51 PM.png

karthiks
Former Member
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

GLAD you are OK

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community