cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mf38238
Contributor II
Message 1 of 10

Please Help! - Where to download Mcafee patch for MacOS Yosemite....

Jump to solution

Hi,

Simple Question/Request  to Mcafee Admin/Superuser:

can you please point me to the location to download Mcafee patch to make it compatible with MacOS Yosemite as mentioned in KB83053?

Details:

I just went through nightmare of upgrading to Yosemite on Macbook Air that had McAfee Antivirus/Firewall installed. From the start, Yosemite installation having problems (hang after Yosemite reboots - common issue people face; check internet). After hours of debugging and researching on internet, I finally called Apple Support and first thing they asked was whether I had Mcafee product installed. As I was, they asked me to remove it right away and helped me uninstall it. After that Yosemite is working great on MacBook Air.

Venting (dealing with Mcafee & AT&T Uverse Tech Support nightmare):

After spending more time digging for information Mcaffe site, I found knowledge base article KB83053 which shows how to make Mcaffe compatible with Yosemite. However, I can not find the patch files anywhere on Mcafee. So, I called Mcafee Support. Unfortunately, I found them totally useless. I am sorry to say that tech support rep had not clue about MacOS or Yosemite and took 10 minutes to gather all my private information to record. Then, she asked for me for the problem. I simply explained the issue and asked where can I download Mcafee patch. She had no clue about Yosemite or the known problem.  In conversation, I mentioned that I am using Mcaffe FirewallAntivirus (Download and install AT&T Internet Security Suite by McAfee ) provided by my service provided, AT&T Uverse. As soon as she heard that, she said that I need to call ATT and she can't help. I said all I simply need to the location to download patch. She refused to give any information/talk at this point.

So, I called ATT Uverse. As soon as I told I am having incompatibility problems with Mcaffe product (offered by them), they refuse to help and asked me to call Mcafee Support. Again, I asked that all I need to know is the location of the patch. They refused to help further/talk.

At this point, I was totally frustrated. Both companies' tech support is pathetic! They can't even help locate a patch let alone help with installation/support. Neither Mcafee nor ATT make easy to locate the patch. What is wrong with these companies - trying to figure out who can piss off the customer most?

Unbelievable Part:

The MacOS Yosemite Developer edition has been out since June for developers. I am shocked from going through this experience that as large and reputed company as Intel (Mcafee) is, it probably did not even care of make their product ready/compatible  for the major new version of MacOS Yosemite before it came out. At least, They should have warned somehow their customers about incompatibility. Makes me really having 2nd thoughts to ever buy Mcafee/Intel Security products if I ever had spend my own money to purchase them - Sorry.

It's been really frustrating. I hope someone in this community has guts to help out fellow customer.

Sorry for being harsh, however, i had to let this known. Thanks for listening.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Re: Please Help! - Where to download Mcafee patch for MacOS Yosemite....

Jump to solution

Also see this FAQ especially the "Related Information" section at the bottom.

Internet Security for Mac 3.1 does not support Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

(Internet Security for Mac 3.3 fully supports Yosemite).

View solution in original post

9 Replies
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

That article is for Managed Native Encryption -  it's not going to help you with your consumer product problems unfortunately. If you still want it though, just login to the McAfee downloads page using your enterprise grant number and you'll find it in the list - it's also available from the software catalog within EPO if you're using one of the later versions.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

For future reference always uninstall or at least disable anti-virus protection when upgrading a system.

If there's a patch available it would only be for Enterprise products I would imagine and as consumer support is not connected with Enterprise in any way because the products are totally different then their methods would be different.

If you want help with the home product, Technical Support is available free of charge by phone or online chat, see the link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Also see this FAQ especially the "Related Information" section at the bottom.

Internet Security for Mac 3.1 does not support Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

(Internet Security for Mac 3.3 fully supports Yosemite).

mf38238
Contributor II
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

Safeboot,

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know what is "enterprise grant number"? Could you clarfiy? I don't think I have such # as I download Mcaffe from my service provided (ATT Uverse).

It sounds like to Mcaffe, non-enterprise customers are not important - why is there no KB for non-enterprise users to upgrade to MacOS Yosemite? Apologies in advance if I missed such KB and if you can point me to one.

The finer overlooked but important details like these really make difference in customer's perception of company and and company's respect for all of their customers. Some companies like Logitech or Tivo, Apple  get it, some just don't seem to.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Did you by chance read Post # 3 by Ex_Brit?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

That KB patch refers to Enterprise products only.  Internet Security For MAC 3.3 covers it for Consumers.   Read that FAQ I posted.

mf38238
Contributor II
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks, Ex_Brit. The FAQ you pointed to helped. After enough begging and bending down, ATT "nConnect" support team agreed to provide the link to download Yosemite compatible Mcaffe (v3.3). If I have option, I'd consider carefully in future before doing business with either of these companies again. Farewell.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know what is "enterprise grant number"? Could you clarfiy? I don't think I have such # as I download Mcaffe from my service provided (ATT Uverse).

You'd have an enterprise grant number if you were an enterprise customer - it would seem you're using the consumer products through ATT though, so you won't have access to the enterprise product sections. Not that this is important though, because the patch you are referring to won't work on your product, it's for something completely different.

It sounds like to Mcaffe, non-enterprise customers are not important - why is there no KB for non-enterprise users to upgrade to MacOS Yosemite? Apologies in advance if I missed such KB and if you can point me to one.

There is, it was pointed out to you earlier. If you use the search feature in service.mcafee.com you'd find it.

The finer overlooked but important details like these really make difference in customer's perception of company and and company's respect for all of their customers. Some companies like Logitech or Tivo, Apple  get it, some just don't seem to.

I appreciate your pain, but remember, you got your product through ATT, so they decide when you get upgrades automatically, not McAfee. The products you're using are not identical to the ones you'd get if you bought them from McAfee - they are controlled through ATT, not by McAfee. I expect there's just a bit of lag between McAfee releasing v3.3 and ATT pushing that update to you.

Finally, let's not forget, that Apple released an OS which is not backwards compatible with current software. I don't want to get into "who broke what" but there's fault all around - Apple made an incompatible OS, ATT didn't update users prior to release of Yosimite, and McAfee made a product which wasn't compatible with an unreleased future version of an OS.

If you want to check compatibility, this site seems appropriate. http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Glad you are OK now.  If anyone is to blame,. it's Apple and AT&T.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community