cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisKing
Contributor II
Message 11 of 31

Re: Mcafee fails during update Mac

The CEO hasn't told me anything about it being fixed, I got a call personally from the CEO Editorial Office who had been requested by the CEO to call me, they have raised a ticket from their office with a escalated ticket number.

I had a chat and whilst i was advised that Mac's are not as prone to virus as much as PC's I argued back that if I downloaded a virus on a Mac then emailed to a PC user or uploaded to a PC user, the virus would be populated back into circulation., I then subsequently was emailed by the CEO Editorial Office representative to thank me for the call and chat, and would be investigating and also asked me to send over any more information that may be relevant, which i did.

What annoys me more, is the original thread I posted in, the last post was to me, to uninstall and install, then the moderator "locked" the chat, and closed it, so you cant reply or respond!! All I can say to that is "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

I was also asked for confirmation by the CEO Editorial Team over my email address so they can read the message thread to get the full facts from us and other users, which i confirmed with them.

In the meantime my "older iMac" (Late 2009 High Sierra) which wont run the latest McAfee version (4.11.1.1) only allows me to download 3.x and this one just doesn't work, but did before.
Due to this I had to download K and 'Mr Blue Sky" which on a trial does work on all versions and older versions of OS/X as they have a version for pre-10.14 and post 10.14., I am only doing that until they fix it on the old macs, and if they don't I may end up "switching over" and not using McAfee on all computers when my sub lapses in 2022.

Chris

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 12 of 31

Chris -

Thanks for the additional details!  Bottom line is that McAfee is falling down badly on their development capabilities and execution, and even more so on their Customer Service. 

We’ll see if they can solve this core capability failure any faster than the nine months it took to fix the firewall on Big Sur.  They could have conceived and delivered a human baby in the amount of time it took for that… 😢

Regards, 

Howard

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 13 of 31

Hi @ChrisKing 

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. Engineering Team has released the patch for v4.9 which will be compatible for mac OS Catalina and High Sierra. Patch updated version will be v4.9.1.1

Patch has been released for v4.11 series previously which will be compatible for BigSur. Patch updated version will be v4.11.1.1

Please try re installing the App and check the issue status. If you have any difficulties Please update us we will take it further in resolving your query. 

Thanks, 

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 14 of 31

Magesh -

I have been running 4.11.1.1 (1147) on an M1 MacBook Air and it definitely does NOT work.  

Please get this resolved NOW - why buy McAfee for virus protection if the newest virus signatures can't be detected???

Both the lack of support and the lack of proactive notifications to your customers of their vulnerability is inexcusable!

Howard

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 15 of 31

Hi @hij2001 

Please let us know the mac OS version and also did we try re installing McAfee? If still persists please let us know the outcome so that we will take it further in resolving your query. 

Thanks,

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 16 of 31

Magesh -

Thanks for the prompt reply! 

As stated in an earlier post on this thread, I am running McAfee LiveSafe version 4.11.1.1 (1147) on BigSur version 11.4 on an M1 based MacAir.  I have removed and reinstalled this McAfee version multiple times.  It still maintains a perfect record of fails for both automatic and manual update requests.

Anything you can do to expedite a solution for me and the countless others on this and related threads would be sincerely appreciated!

Regards,

Howard

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 17 of 31

Hi @hij2001 

Due to the nature of the issue. We have sent a private message to you. Please respond with the details to help you resolve your query. 

Thanks, 

ChrisKing
Contributor II
Message 18 of 31

Hi Magesh

I have had an email response from the McAfee Editorial Office and have been requested to advise a time when I am free for a Senior Support agent to investigate, I had hoped to do this Friday, but somehow my email in reply seems to have gone astray and I have email again to them with a newer reply to ask for Monday.

In regards to your request, I don't have McAfee Total Protection on this iMac (at present), since it was not downloading anything to update definitions and I could not risk having the computer not update with the latest virus definitions, so due to this installed a trial of another product that works.

But as per your reply, when i logged into my dashboard and tried to download the iMac client / version, it forces me to download mcafee-installer-3.3.dmg therefore there is no option to download the version that supports High Sierra.

I think the problem here is that when you logon to your dashboard, your download button will detect the version of the OS/X for the iMac and finding it is "High Sierra" and OS/X 10.13.6, it only links to the 3.3 installer, so the user cant download 4.x.x, certainly I cant see a way to download the DMG installer for 4.x.x via the dashboard, the only way that would work, is if the 3.3 installer installed and could "upgrade 3.3 to 4.9" something you have not mentioned in your reply.

it is also frustrating as the iMac 2009 (high sierra) is a fast processor at 3.06 ghz, mine has 8gb ram, it is 32bit, but with 8gb ram its fast and mine has a Solid State hard drive, and I can easily upgrade the memory much higher if needed, so it is a bit strange that the Application will work fine, but the definitions refuse to download. 

If you can advise on how to upgrade the App to the new version to take advantage of the 4.9 patch, I am available for any online support chat or installation that any agent can offer.

Chris

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 19 of 31

Magesh & Community -

Per my private message to Magesh this morning, removing; downloading and installing the same version; and setting the correct permissions for the third time has resolved this issue for me.  Both my manual update after install and multiple automatic updates over the last 3 days have successfully completed.

In my PM with Magesh this morning, he suggested that the patch version (denoted in parentheses after the version number) may not have been updated on my new install.  That would seem to suggest the software may have been updated but the patch number wasn't updated for the installer version number.  I've asked Magesh to check this and provide an update on this thread.

In the interim, I would suggest following the same steps that I did - download the software, remove the current version, and reinstall ensuring you set the correct permissions after install and see whether this resolves the issue for you.

Regards,

Howard

ChrisKing
Contributor II
Message 20 of 31

Was contacted by Magesh which was related to a support ticket I had raised via the CEO Office, I had missed their email which was to advise me that I would be contacted by phone at 8pm, however the call was received at 10pm and I missed the 2 or 3 attempts. 
Having allow a remote session, he proceeded to remove the Trial version of another brand that I put on as a temporary intermediate solution, and the new 3.3 version reinstalled, after installation, the update to the definitions was updated and it successfully downloaded 4.9.1 , which updated fine. 

When I checked with Magesh over support going forward, I was advised that this would continue and the latest patch will support as far back as Mojave.

The install has now been completed and this is now resolved for me, the other iMac (2017) was fine after the initial earlier download for 4.11.1, since this was running Catalina and 64bit. 

I have also enquired about an additional 1 month subscription due to the fact the problem surfaced end July.

Chris

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community