Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPH
Contributor II
Message 1 of 31

Cannot enable firewall on MacOS

Jump to solution

Once I updated MacOS High Sierra to 10.13.2, the firewall could not be turned on. In the McAfee Total Protection console, I am seeing "Turn on Firewall", with a "Turn on" button. When I click that, the console refreshes and I once again see "Turn on Firewall".

I read Document ID TS102623. Going into firewall settings, it says "You're not connected to a network right now", which of course is not correct (note that all other functions of Total Protection that use the network seem to work).

The document suggests that, if the firewall cannot be turned on, the user run the McAfee Virtual Technician. However, this does not seem to start using either Chrome or Safari on MacOS. Although not disclosed in the document mentioned previously or on the MVT page, I read in this community that MVT is not available for Mac. This leaves me with no known documented solution to my problem.

If anyone in this community has solved this problem, please let me know. I could not find a post on this. Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JPH
Contributor II
Message 14 of 31

Re: Cannot enable firewall on MacOS

Jump to solution

Thanks to all for comments. The solution was to completely uninstall the product and reinstall it. The firewall could then be turned on. 

View solution in original post

30 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 31

Jump to solution

Hi Jph,

Please try with below steps and confirm whether issue still persist. 

1. Click the McAfee Security icon.
  2. Select McAfee Internet Security Preferences.
  3. Click the Firewall icon if not selected.
  4. Click the padlock icon if locked, and type in your Mac's administrator credentials.
  5. Under the Type drop-down option, change the Type from Public to Home or Work.
  6. Click the Red button to close the window.

Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 31

Jump to solution

Hi,

May we know, is your McAfee working fine now?

Regards,

Karthik K

JPH
Contributor II
Message 4 of 31

Jump to solution
I apologize; am traveling with a different system right now (never did have a problem with this one), so cannot answer yet. Will do so on return.
Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 31

Jump to solution

Sure and thank you for your reply

Regards,

Karthik K

JPH
Contributor II
Message 6 of 31

Jump to solution

Got back from trip. Still cannot turn on firewall. Now, on another MacOS system, Real-time Scanning is now turned off and I cannot turn it on. It is not turning on in the same way... I can flip the switch all right, but it doesn't actually seem to turn on.

I will poke around some more, but think I will end up uninstalling the product from both systems and reinstalling to see if that fixes it. Sigh.

JPH
Contributor II
Message 7 of 31

Jump to solution

I'm sorry not to have mentioned in the reply just sent (regarding firewall) that I can't follow the instructions completely. The instructions tell the user to set the network type. But since the product (incorrectly) believes that there is no network, the drop-down box for that does not appear. Of course, there is a network connection... I am using it now to update the status on this problem.

GaneshR
Message 8 of 31

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please check with McAfee version installed on MAC. McAfee has launched 4.2 version for MAC os. Please check and perform reinstallation. 

Thanks and Regards

Ganesh Raju R

marvinin
Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problem.

McAfee 4.2.0.0(4113)

MacBook Pro Early 2011 running Sierra (10.12.6)

Can't turn "Real Time Scanning" on also.

marvinin
Contributor
Message 10 of 31

Jump to solution

I mean "Real Time Scanning" also doesn't work.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community