Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user_142164
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Beginner's Questions

Hi,

I'm totally new to the VirusScan program, since I've been a Mac user since the early 1990s and didn't really have to deal with viruses. But things have changed, so I've downloaded VirusScan for Mac v. 8.6.1 from from the academic institution where I currently work. The DAT version is 5393.0000 & the Engine version is 5300.2777.

I ran some basic scans on certain volumes and folders and got some results in the reports that leave me baffled. For instance, a lot of results that said, "Not Scanned: permission denied." What does that mean? Who is denying permission; is it me, or some check box that I failed to check on? How do I give permission to scan these folders or files?

I got a notification that the Generic!atr virus was found on a copy of a flash drive that was in a folder on my desk top. It further said that the Repair failed. This was a copy of the flash drive contents, not the actual mounted flashdrive. Do I have to insert the actual flashdrive in order to get the program to scan and clean any viruses it finds? I went to the Virus Info Site and looked up the virus, but I was asked to confirm that I had tech support account. How do I establish that I have a Tech Support Account? Does it come automatically when I register my software? There were hundreds of blog entries for this virus, and it's effect was listed as minimal, but still I would like to get rid of it. Isn't VirusScan supposed to do this for me?

And it goes on...

So, I figured I would join the community as a newbie, click 'NONE' for expertise, which is very true, and see if I can find some helpful answers to these first time users questions and problems. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Eventually I hope to be able to upgrade 'expert' level and return the help to someone else who is just starting out in fighting potential virus infections.

I remain, thankful in advance,

D.Davey.C

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: Beginner's Questions

Not a mac user so will point a tech here. It would be a good idea to contact support and ask them those questions. I see the dat you mention is heaps ol;d unless teh Mac dats are a different naming convention. Current is 6723 for PC.

Support

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

You tried to update Mcafee yet?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/05/12 7:03:00 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community