cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oscar_Dodge
Contributor II
Message 1 of 5

bigSur: installation / upgrade process for bigSur is just broken.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

I do not track the daily state of my McAfee AV products.  I just expect them to work in a reasonable fashion.  We are in the 21st century now, right?

Updating to bigSur causes versions 4.8.x.x to fail on startup.  Okay, not a big problem.  Uninstall the older McAfee (it works) and download the latest installer and reinstall as per usual.

Wrong.  Installer fails with, "Unsupported Operating System: You are attempting to download a Mac application to an unsupported operating system. To download this product, you must download from a computer using the MAC OSX 10.12 or above."

bigSur is 11.0 ... so much for that theory.  Following the support threads reveals that mcAfee was aware of the problem during bigSur beta but failed to to detect or or set up updates for macOS 11.  (The error message function is obviously broken).

Mr McAfee, can Mac users please have a working installer?

TIA.

4 Replies
Dustin_techie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: bigSur: installation / upgrade process for bigSur is just broken.

I still have Catalina and able to install

Oscar_Dodge
Contributor II
Message 3 of 5

The problem is that the web page for downloads at https://home.mcafee.com/Downloads/SmartDownload.aspx detects that the client browser is running the bigSur release (11.0.0.1) and short circuits the download. The installer probably works. The web page does not work.

Downloaded the installer to another computer ...

Oscar_Dodge
Contributor II
Message 4 of 5

Madhan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Hello @Oscar_Dodge 

We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused. McAfee is aware of this issue and working hard to find a solution as soon as possible. We will update you once we have a fix.

Due to nature of this incident, I've sent you a private message. Please check.

Regards,
Madhan M

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community