cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markeakin
Contributor II
Message 1 of 19

VShieldScanner high Memory and CPU on Mac Monterey

Similar to the post about Big Sur (https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/Mac-Products/VShieldScanner-high-CPU-on-Mac-Big-Sur/m-p/685668/highligh...), the problem still exists on Monterey.

My RAM + Swap is constantly running out of memory space, bogging down the computer. VShieldScanner is using up over 12GB of memory and 35-75% of CPU continually. That's crazy. VShieldManager is using up another 2.5 GB of memory.

Do I have to give up on McAfee and switch to another virus product that really works on Macs?

18 Replies
Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 19

Re: VShieldScanner high Memory and CPU on Mac Monterey

Hi @markeakin 

We are sorry for the trouble. Please try disabling scheduled scan and check issue status. 

If  you still face issues, Please check in activity monitor which McAfee process consumes most memory and kill the process. Please update us on the outcome to assist you further resolving your query.

Regards

Magesh J

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 3 of 19

Fortunately turning off scheduled scans solved the memory use problem. However, that leaves me more vulnerable. Is McAfee not going to fix this problem?

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 19

Hi @markeakin 

Thanks for the update. Scheduled scan is most similar to full scan but it is a separate feature more like an automated process which runs in background. We recommend you to run a full scan instead of scheduled scan which prevents consuming memory thus increases your mac performance. 

By disabling the schedule scan, the device will not be vulnerable as the RTS and Firewall are still on which ensures your device more secure. This won't impact on McAfee security functionality.

If you still have issues or queries please feel free to reach our support by accessing the below link or you may contact us on 866-622-3911 if you are from USA or canada.

McAfee Chat support 

Regards

Magesh J

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 5 of 19

So, just to be clear, because scheduled scan on the Mac is now a memory hog

• it is basically worthless and should not be used?
  • I need to set a reminder and run it manually instead?
  • McAfee has no plans to fix this?

Just making sure we have a common understanding of the full implications of your recommendation and statements on scheduled scan.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 19

I can definitely feel the memory leak fixed once the Scheduled scan is disabled.

I'm hoping a fix is on the way for this?

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 7 of 19

I disabled scheduled scan but VShieldScanner has now started coming back. I keep quitting or force quitting the instances via Activity Monitor but it's like swatting mosquitos. It keeps coming back on and hogged gigabytes of CPU memory.

What can I do to stop it? 

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 8 of 19

I have disabled scheduling.

Activity Monitor shows multiple instances of VShieldScanner running, so I kill them all. After a while they pop back up. It's like playing Whack-A-Mole. If there is no solution to this, I will have to uninstall McAfee entirely.

Magesh
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 19

Hi @markeakin 

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Vshiled scnner service will get displayed multiple times as the scanne will run on multiple threads while the service is running. Please ensure you disabled scheduled scan option in the settings. Reboot the machine and check issue status.  Also make sure v4.12.0 installed on the machine if your mac is running on macOS 11.x or 12.x 

Regards

Magesh J

markeakin
Contributor II
Message 10 of 19

I turned off scheduled scans a couple of months and many, many reboots ago. I'm also running v4.12.0 (295). Mac is running OS 12.1.

Next suggestion? Do I need to disable Automatic Updates and Real-Time Scanning, too? 

How about fixing the software?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community