cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewb
Contributor II
Message 1 of 18

Total Protection not working on macOS Monterey 12.1 MacBook Pro M1X

I have the same issues as the user @peter99 describes below. My question is why does this keep happening to McAfee each time a new macOS version comes out? Basically, the same stuff happened to my old Mac when Catalina was released. That one was so hosed up, I had to buy a subscription to Bitdefender until a year later when you all fixed it.

Why aren't your software devs working with Apple so that you don't have this problem each time Apple releases a new major version? I like your product when it works... 

As a longtime customer, I do not wish to switch to another brand. It's not a threat, and I'm not trying to extort a free anything from you. I just want you to fix your stuff so we don't have to deal with this every macOS release.

From peter99:
Clicking on any function (Scan, Update, etc.) causes the app to "quit unexpectedly". Scheduled scans do not work either. Level 2 support told me that this is a known issue due to the macOS update and they are working on a fix. No timeframe given yet.

Why does a known issue require elevation to L2 support instead of informing all service reps and pinning a post to the top of the forum?

Anybody privy to the release date for the fix? Will it require a re-install or can it run in the background with Automatic Updates?

17 Replies
Kumar_suman
Message 2 of 18

Re: Total Protection not working on macOS Monterey 12.1 MacBook Pro M1X

Hi @matthewb ,

Greetings from McAfee.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

McAfee is aware of the issue and we are waiting for the update from the Engineering team. We will update you as soon we receive any update regarding this.

Once update is released for MAC OS 12.0, you can fix it either by updating the security manually or by performing uninstall and reinstall if required. 

regards,

Kumar

Canesguy
Contributor II
Message 3 of 18

I’ve had the McAfee Total Protection plan for about 6 weeks.  Recently I updated my Mac to the Monterey OS.  I’ve noticed that my Mac was slowing down more and more to the point that it is almost “bricked”.  In fact, I reached out to the iMac Forums with the answer that Monterey shouldn’t slow down Mac’s which are not that old.  I was at the point that I ordered a new Mac and was going to trade it in for a paltry $250 credit towards the new one.

After looking into my scheduling an appointment to pick up the new computer the next day, I had a brainstorm that first I should try uninstalling my McAfee to see if that was the cause.  It WAS the cause and McAfee should know about issues like this.

matthewb
Contributor II
Message 4 of 18

Same problem, on a MacBook Pro M1X. 

McAfee didn’t address my concerns in my last post about this…

@mcafee It seems as though every new MacOS major version update breaks your products. And as stated, it was so broken last time I had to buy another antivirus/firewall program until McAfee fixed their problem. My question to @mcafee is why does this happen with every major MacOS version release? Do you not work with Apple to make sure your software will work with the new versions prior to release? This is very frustrating and should not happen. 

@Canesguy i’m not sure if you have total protection functioning or not. I have it sort of working. After a Reboot, I have to manually turn on the firewall. Which sometimes works and sometimes crashes. Also today, web protection stopped working and then I got it working again. It seems to be very finicky as to whether it will perform a function or crash. VERY FRUSTRATED AGAIN. 

Jcarlso
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I reported this issue a couple of months ago. No reply ever to the original ticket. Can't get chat support in less than 1-2 hours. 

You guys are really dropping the ball here.

Canesguy
Contributor II
Message 6 of 18

I doubt that I will renew McAfee when the subscription is up.  I will keep an open mind, however.

keiffers5
Contributor II
Message 7 of 18

Whats the current status with McAfee being updated to allow us to actually use the product without it continuously crashing? I just bought a 2-yr subscription yet there is no warning for new customers to know that you may have issues with running Total Protection on your M1 MBP running Monterey. A company like McAfee shouldn't have this kind of issue, regardless of OS type. If you're aware of the problem then fix it, not tell your customers you know about it, which implies that you'll get around to it when you want. Seems that the big companies like Norton and McAfee aren't as great as they once were. I already won't do business with Norton because their software has become trash, and the way things are going, the same may happen with McAfee. 

Come on just fix it once and for all.....Monterey has been out for months already so this problem with crashes should have already been resolved

Canesguy
Contributor II
Message 8 of 18

Re: Total Protection not doing its job

So now I’m getting a pop-up on my iPad 8 that shows my internet provider, Cox, offering chances to win a new i Pad vs $100 debit cards after several questions are answered.  I know it’s a scam cause I’ve never heard of the promotion company, and have answered the questions different ways after it pops up and I’m a winner each time.  Then I only have to enter personal info. and a credit card to win….not going to happen!  

On 20’ with McAfee support and they told me that because the site looks realistic, McAfee will not recognize it as being fraudulent. That explains why a message from McAfee prior to the pop-up said that my WiFi is safe.  Hmm….

SusanMoser
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

This is still going on.  When is McAfee going to fix this problem.   I'm updated to the latest version of MacOS Monterey version 12.2.1. McAfee 4.13.0.0 (354)  It crashes everytime I run a scan.  This has been going on for months.   

Canesguy
Contributor II
Message 10 of 18

Yeah, I had to uninstall it on my iMac because it slowed anything I was trying to do on it to a crawl.  In fact, I was ready to trade the computer and buy a new one when I discovered the problem.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community