cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3Nick
Contributor III
Message 21 of 31

Re: Mcafee fails during update Mac

@hij2001 How did you manage to update to v.4.11? I have 4.10 installed on my macbook air and every time I uninstall and reinstall the app the installer gets me the same version. I haven't found a way to install 4.11 until now so the same problem persists and there seems to be no way to solve it.

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 22 of 31

@Magesh How can I update to version 4.11.1 from version 4.10? Each time I uninstall the app and use the online installer, it downloads 4.10 again instead of 4.11. Isn't there a standalone installer to download and install the app?

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 23 of 31

@3Nick -

I'm running LiveSafe version 4.11.1.1 (1147) Affid 550 on BigSur version 11.4 (20F71) on an M1 MacBook Air.  What OS version and hardware are you running? The installer that was successful (though it took multiple attempts as i mentioned above) was mcafee-macinstaller-3.3.dmg.

Assuming you're on the same HW/SW versions, I would suggest you try two different approaches to install - I don't recall which way finally worked for me.  First, try to manually uninstall Mcafee, then download and install the above installer.  If that doesn't work, run the installer and let it uninstall your old version as part of the install process.

If your HW/SW doesn't match mine or you still aren't successful, I would suggest reaching out to @Magesh for additional assistance.

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 24 of 31

@hij2001 

Thanks for your reply. I am running Big Sur 11.4.2 on a 2014 Macbook Air. The installer I have used multiple times is indeed mcafee-macinstaller-3.3.dmg and I have tried both uninstalling before running the installer as well as letting it uninstall the app on its own during setup. I've done that more than 10 times and it still downloads version 4.10. I have also reached out to @Magesh for assistance but have not yet heard from them.

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 25 of 31

@hij2001 

I've been trying again for the past 2 days but still no luck. On the other hand, @Magesh won't answer so I thought I should try the following:

I have already installed Mojave on an external drive that I plug into my Macbook so that I can run older apps not compatible with BigSur. Perhaps I could install Mcafee there, let it update normally (hopefully it will) and then copy/paste the app itself from the Mojave installation to my BigSur environment in order to update 4.10 to 4.11. Do you think that's possible?

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 26 of 31

@3Nick-

I'm puzzled by how running the same install on my system multiple times yielded different results.  Clearly not the deterministic behavior that would be expected.

I can't provide any useful advice on whether your approach would work, but at this point, it's certainly worth a try since the conventional install and upgrade process doesn't seem to be producing a viable install.

Regards,

Howard

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 27 of 31

@hij2001 

OK, I downloaded the same installer on my Mojave installation and (surprise), the installer downloaded and installed version 4.9.1!!! I mean, what on earth is going on here??? There's absolutely no logic on how that installer behaves.

So, practically, I'm all stuck on my main MacOS BigSur installation with version 4.10 with no way to upgrade to 4.11. In other words, I have paid for a completely useless app with obsolete DAT definitions dated back to November 2020. Great Mcafee, you've done it!

hij2001
Contributor III
Message 28 of 31

@3Nick -

I certainly appreciate your frustration... 😞

What version of Big Sur are you running and on which processor - M1 or x86?  As I mentioned earlier, i'm on Big Sur v 11.4 (20F71) on an M1 based MacBook Air. 

If you are running the exact same SW and HW configuration as I am, then I'm at a complete loss.  I have to think that there is some difference in your BigSur and/or HW that is causing the installer to push the down rev version.  If that is the only McAfee version that will run on your system, then it should certainly still maintain the current DAT definitions as well as engine updates.

@Magesh - Please weigh in and get @3Nick's system operational! 

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 29 of 31

@hij2001 

@Magesh 

It turns out that there has to be something wrong with the serial numbers I am getting from my account. I just used my brother's account in order to download the app on my macbook and the same installer downloaded version 4.11.1. Then I reinstalled the app using a serial number generated from my account and it uninstalled 4.11 and installed 4.10 again.

I don't know why this is happening. My subscription is a Livesafe subscription while my brother has a subscription for Internet Security.

My HW is Macbook Air (early 2014) with Intel Core i5.

My SW is MacOS BigSur 11.5.2.

Thanks for your help,

Nick

3Nick
Contributor III
Message 30 of 31

Hi @hij2001
I just had a one-hour callback from Mcafee support. The agent managed to solve the issue by exchanging my subscription with a new one. It turned out that there was a problem with the codes that were generated during the install that made the installer always pull the old version.

Problem solved now. Thank you!
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community