cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
samus
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

LiveSafe 4.11 installed over the top of a previous version

I have just installed the latest version of LifeSafe (4.11) onto a Macbook running Big Sur 11.6.

However, there was an existing version of LifeSafe already installed over a year ago that I forgot about (it was disabled a while back before upgrading from Catalina and so I thought that I had uninstalled instead).

Should I uninstall, clean up any leftovers, and reinstall 4.11 as fresh as possible? Is there any possible chance for corruption or integrity in this current install state that I should be concerned about?

Thank you and good day.

---

In the below log file there is a line indicating that "MCSPInstallConfig.plist file exists". I'm not sure if the existing file is from the new or previous install.

MCSPInstaller.log

--->INSTALLATION OF CSP STARTED
DATE: 2021-09-22
TIME: 16:03:57
/usr/local/McAfee/MCSPInstallConfig.plist file exists.
CONFIG_FILE_PATH : /usr/local/McAfee/MCSPInstallConfig.plist
AppId is xxxx

Reference Count is empty
Reference Count is 1 now
CSP daemon started
MCSP installed successfully

As can be seen below from the system's install.log, MCSPInstaller.log precedes MCSPInstallConfig.plist (though this order may not necessarily imply when the files where created exactly):

/var/log/install.log

2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 INSTALLER_LOG_FILE=/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.mcafee.cspd.helper/MCSPInstaller.log
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 LAUNCHD_PLIST_PATH=/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.mcafee.cspd.plist
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 PKG_FILE_PATH=/usr/local/McAfee/TempDownload/Package/2.7.118/MCSPMacOSX.pkg
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 /usr/local/McAfee/TempDownload/Package/2.7.118/MCSPMacOSX.pkg
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 PKG_DIR_PATH=/usr/local/McAfee/TempDownload/Package/2.7.118
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 EXIT_CODE_FILE=/usr/local/McAfee/installMCSP_Status.txt
2021-09-22 16:03:57-04 CONFIG_FILE_PATH_NEW=/usr/local/McAfee/MCSPInstallConfig.plist

MCSPInstallConfig.plist contains an "AppId", which I'm not sure depends on the serial number entered during install (which I was issued a new one for, and used, when downloading 4.11 yesterday). MCSPInstallConfig.plist does have a modified date corresponding to when the install occurred though I'm still unsure whether the file was completely replaced or not, possibly leaving the old AppId from the previous install. If it was, could it cause an issue (with future updates, say, if it is somehow related to the serial number)? I haven't tried updating since installing, which LifeSafe is reporting that one is pending, b/c I'm not sure if it'll be uninstalled yet so didn't want to bother and/or complicate matters.

3 Replies
AvinashP
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 4

Re: LiveSafe 4.11 installed over the top of a previous version

Hi @samus,

We understand your concern, since you have installed McAfee on top a existing software.
We would recommend you to uninstall the software completely and reinstall it back to your device, to make sure there is no issue within the application itself.

Please access the below article on how to uninstall and reinstall McAfee,

How to install, configure, uninstall McAfee software on macOS 

If you have any concerns in following the article you can also reach out to our chat support team by accessing the link below,

McAfee Chat Support 

Thanks,
Avinash.

samus
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

The uninstaller appears to leave the following files behind:

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.mcafee.McAfeeSafariHost.plist
/private/var/db/receipts/com.mcafee.pkg.DynamicBranding.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.mcafee.pkg.DynamicBranding.plist
AvinashP
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 4 of 4

Hi @samus,

Please remove any McAfee traces from the below locations and empty your trash before reintsalling the McAfee on your device.

/usr/local
/Library/Launch Agents
/Library/Launch Daemons
/Library/Preferences
/Library/Preference Panes
/Library/Application Support
/Private/Var/Tmp

Thanks,

Avinash.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community