cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhang
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

I have uninstalled the old mcafee on my mac, but when I try to reinstall it, it keep asks me to remove old McAfee software. Can someone please help

Hi,

I have uninstalled the old mcafee on my mac, due to it expired.

But when I try to reinstall the new version, it keep asks me to remove old McAfee software.

I have uninstalled it from terminal using below command

sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/uninstall.sh

I have checked McAfee is no longer there. See attachment

I have also removed McAfee from applications

Can someone please help.

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Re: I have uninstalled the old mcafee on my mac, but when I try to reinstall it, it keep asks me to remove old McAfee software. Can someone please help

Moved to mac products for a better chance of an answer. Best also to call support. See Community support link top right tab.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Re: I have uninstalled the old mcafee on my mac, but when I try to reinstall it, it keep asks me to remove old McAfee software. Can someone please help

Did you click that "Remove it" button?  That would do the job of cleaning up the old installation and probably allow you to install.

carguyty
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

Hey Peter! I've got exactly the same issue as Zhang. Outside of clicking the glaringly obvious "Remove it" button several times to no avail, do you have any other helpful tips? Is there perhaps a link to a standalone uninstaller app that you could point out? I'm sure Zhang has tried the obvious if they has resorted to seeking out terminal scripts in an attempt to continue using this product.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Try this;

TS101226 - McAfee Support

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

If that doesn't help, scroll right down that link's web page and you'll see the Contact Support button.

You would need Technical Support in this case and it's free by phone or online chat.

varonica
Contributor II
Message 7 of 8

you have to remove old temp or clear old data of old McAfee . After clearing install new one

Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 8

Hi Angela,

When removed McAfee using shell, it would leave some of the McAfee traces. Please remove McAfee traces under /Library/Application Support, /Library/Launch Agents, /Library/Launch Daemons. Check Site Advisor in Applications, Safari Extensions and Launchpad. If Site Advisor found in any of the locations, please go to the location /usr/local/McAfee/SiteAdvisor/ and open the file "ui.zip". It will generate and show "Uninstall.app" for Site Advisor under Downloads. You can use the file to uninstall Site Advisor. Then try McAfee installation and update the status.

Regards,

Karthik K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community