cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nm43
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

How Long Will Full Scan Take?

I recently bought McAfee Total Protection and started a full scan on my iMac early Wednesday morning. It is still scanning late on Saturday afternoon. Is there any way to get an idea of how much longer it's going to be scanning? It's up to 15661920 items scanned now, with 863 threats detected. (I did a full scan on my Macbook in less than a day.)

12 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 13

Re: How Long Will Full Scan Take?

​,

Although we Mods do not utilize  Mac products. That seems to be entirely too long,especially the number of threats found? In all of my years of using McAfee products I have never encountered such. I will contact a Tier 2.5 Technician on your behalf to add to the discussion.

​  Could you kindly assist this user please?

During the interim you may try running this superb Anti-Malware tool for a second opinion.

Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 13

Hi

The scan duration will be differed by storage capacity. McAfee will scan all the storage during the Full Scan including Time machine/Capsule, External Hard drives. I would suggest you to turn off Time machine, Remove all external storage and check the scan time. You can split the scan by initiate a Full scan without any external storage and Time Machine. If you want to scan your external storage, please use Custom scan feature in McAfee.

Regards,

Karthik K

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 13

Thank you

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
bretth
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

I have had the same problem.  I ran a initial 'Full Scan" and it ran for 48 hours, checked over 19 million items and found 56 threats.  Eventually I realised that it would never end as it was checking the Time Machine Back-up which was running every hour or so and creating new items to check.  Like you, when I stopped the scan I was just told it had found the 56 threats but was given no further information on what these were or what to do about them

I had huge trouble installing the software in the first place; it hung for hours "checking for incompatible software".  I managed to get past that by disconnecting the Time Machine, uninstalling bits of software following some very complex instructions, then doing the whole thing again.  I then had further difficulties granting the software the necessary permissions to run.

I installed McAfee because it is recommended  and provided free by BT, but frankly it is not fit for purpose and should be withdrawn.

nm43
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

I stopped the scan after almost a week and 2000+ threats. As far as I could tell, nothing was done about the threats. I don't plan on renewing my McAfee subscription when it expires.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 13

You able to comment on both of these questions

​ You able to comment on both of these questions ?

Karthik_K
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 13

Hi

Sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly help us with the screenshot of the threats window.

Regards,

Karthik K

nm43
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

When I stopped the scan (after almost a week), the box about the huge number of files and the 2,000+ threats found went away.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

So is it reasonable to assume your issue is (Solved)?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community